First Camera: Nikon D5000. Which all round budget lens?

backtotheroad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys

I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I just bought my first camera, a Nikon D5000 second hand for very cheap as am on a tight budget and thought it's better to start somewhere. It didn't come with a lens so I would like to get something budget and all round for regular photos and to make simple home live music videos (I would just be sitting on a chair, not moving too much) to show new songs I am working on. Do you recommend a few brands/specs? It's all new to me but just read you need a lens with a motor that works with the camera. Are any of the cheaper brands ok like Sigma etc or is it a risk to get one of those? Really just want something cheap to start me off and I can build up when I have some more money.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will also do a better search on here in case I can find the answer in old threads.

:)

Last edited:
The kit 18-55 is a very good lens and you can find it for $60 here

Sorry, didn't realize you were international...that might make shipping more expensive. But still, check eBay or other used websites. There are other Nikon 18-55 lenses with VR (vibration reduction) but at that focal length, I wouldn't consider it a high priority.
As for your comment about non-Nikon lenses, Id stick with Nikon. This is only my opinion, but resale value is always higher on Nikon (or Canon) versus off-brand.

The 18-55 is inexpensive. The older 18-70mm is another used lens that you might like. There has also been an 18-105 Nikkor lens, and an 18-135 Nikkor lens. I would consider any of those lenses to be "all-around" budget lens options for a D5000 shooter looking for a first zoom lens purchase.

Sigma has an 18-70mm that some people have liked.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your fast feedback. I will check them all out. :)

Look for one of these: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
at a slightly used price.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR from Nikon

This is the usual "kit" lens that normally comes with the Nikon D5000. It is a good lens, and you should see several examples for sale used in your area because so many new photographers think they need to upgrade their lenses, therefore they will sell that lens.

This is the lens that is on my camera more than any other lens, even though I have three others from which to choose.

Look for one of these: AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
at a slightly used price.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR from Nikon

This is the usual "kit" lens that normally comes with the Nikon D5000. It is a good lens, and you should see several examples for sale used in your area because so many new photographers think they need to upgrade their lenses, therefore they will sell that lens.

This is the lens that is on my camera more than any other lens, even though I have three others from which to choose.

Thank you very much. Lots of info. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back