First close up portrait attempt

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just shot one of my close friends attempting to get a very close face shot. My goal was to get the arabic look with the pov. scarf to look like she was maybe muslim...? I don't know, I just had the idea to look from the middle east.

Delaney.png

Comments are very welcome... her eyes are normally unbelievably colorful, i just barely adjusted the levels to bring them out. They're amazing.

Thanks!

Great shot, although I have to admit I didn't think it was a girl at first. Kind of has that Zack Effron look in which most cases he looks quite feminine. I don't have much experience with portraits, but the focus looks spot on and the lighting is nice and soft allowing for lots of detail. I love the color of the eyes too, and it looks nice with the other colors in the photo. Again, great work!

I think the blue scarf blows the eyes out of the water. Maybe some light from a different direction and a different color scarf? Just thinking out loud here.

Nice sharp image though.

were you trying to do something like the famous National Geogrphic cover?

afghan-girl-national-geographic-photos-that-change1.jpg

I agree with sodak, the scarf takes away from the eyes, use a darker scarf.

Yeah that's exactly what I had envisioned in my mind, except I didn't want a background... I wanted a tight crop. And the national geographic lady has oversaturated eyes, looking a bit unrealistic.

Yeah that's exactly what I had envisioned in my mind, except I didn't want a background... I wanted a tight crop. And the national geographic lady has oversaturated eyes, looking a bit unrealistic.

That shot was taken in like 1976, wayyy before the days of Photoshop. Probably why it is revered as one of the best shots ever.

Hey, not too bad, I feel like it's a little too soft, I would love to see some light coming in from the right side of her face, to give her skin a little more detail and bring up those eyes a little bit more. Also girls faces tend to look better if they are turned just ever so slightly.
Nice job though, keep 'em coming

I actually found the mouth to be the most distracting part of the picture. At first I only partially scrolled down, and saw these beautiful eyes, and interesting picture. Then I scrolled the rest of the way, only to find and pretty unhappy looking smirk that ruins the image for me. I would try cropping it to just below the eyes, and make the picture all about the eyes. Then just desaturate the blue scarf a bit, and maybe select the eyes and brighten them.

here eyes are like that. I saw a documentary on it. Here is the more recent shot. She was hesitating to do it but she did it. Same photographer, different camera.
afghan-girl.jpg

I actually found the mouth to be the most distracting part of the picture. At first I only partially scrolled down, and saw these beautiful eyes, and interesting picture. Then I scrolled the rest of the way, only to find and pretty unhappy looking smirk that ruins the image for me. I would try cropping it to just below the eyes, and make the picture all about the eyes. Then just desaturate the blue scarf a bit, and maybe select the eyes and brighten them.

LindsEyes.jpg

http://www.kutsuphoto.com/LindsEyes.jpg
Is that kind of what you were thinking about coming in and cropping.
I do agree with you on the lips.

Bryant, even if you wanted you could go into photoshop and desaturate the lips a little and/or mess with colors so that way it doesn't stand out (causing a distraction)

I do want to say, that please notice at the 2 pictures posted of the girl from national geographic (the 2 of the same picture)....they photoshoped her a little bit the second time...she's darker, mainly her lips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back