First Concert Shots

bentcountershaft

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night I took some pics at a friend's concert. The lighting was impossibly dark but I ended up with more keepers than I expected. I normally don't shoot many people as a subject, let alone in a dark performance environment so this was all new to me. I think I did ok for a first time. Definitely learned some things for next time. Anyway, here's a few of my favorites so far. I haven't edited the color shots yet, kinda popped in here to take a break after doing a bunch of b&w. Three hundred photos is a lot to process on a Sunday morning after getting in at four in the morning. C&C very much appreciated.

r1ximg2887b2.jpg

r1ximg2932b2.jpg

r1ximg2911b2.jpg

Yeah, I was probably too conservative with the ISO trying to avoid noise so I pretty well stayed at 800. I did try 1600 for a little bit in the beginning but I was using a 24-70 at 2.8 so the results aren't much brighter. Should have tried it with the 85. The bar they played at has three stages and they were on the one with the worst lighting. Best sound system but that did little for me. It was fun though. I think if I ever plan on doing a lot of this type stuff I'll need a camera with better high ISO capabilities. That b&w you linked is great by the way.

Yeah, I was probably too conservative with the ISO trying to avoid noise so I pretty well stayed at 800. I did try 1600 for a little bit in the beginning but I was using a 24-70 at 2.8 so the results aren't much brighter. Should have tried it with the 85. The bar they played at has three stages and they were on the one with the worst lighting. Best sound system but that did little for me. It was fun though. I think if I ever plan on doing a lot of this type stuff I'll need a camera with better high ISO capabilities. That b&w you linked is great by the way.

Cheers that was shot at iso3200, For dark clubs you need fast primes, is your 85 an F1.8 ?

Cheers that was shot at iso3200, For dark clubs you need fast primes, is your 85 an F1.8 ?

Yes it is. I shot mostly with that and some with my 50 1.8 as well, both of them wide open on probably 90% of the shots. It was so dark there I think the drummer must have trouble seeing his kit.

They're playing there again next month but I'm not sure if it will be the same stage. If it is I'll try 1600 and hopefully be able to stop my aperture down at least a wee bit to improve sharpness. F2.2 may help with that if I can get away with it. 3200 on my body will be useless except for capturing memories.

Most reactions

Back