First DSLR, and deciding between D3000 and D5000.

johnm1292

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To start off I would like to say my budget is 600 dollars, and there is no way I could go over that budget (I mean 620 is okay, but nothing way over that). I have found two cameras that I really like: a used D5000 via Craigslist and a D3000 w/ extra 55-200mm Non-VR lens and bag. Both are kits and come with 18-55 VR lens. They are asking 550 for the D5000, and the D3000 is 600 as a Black Friday deal at Best Buy. Here are the pro's for each camera:

D5000 Pro's:
Articulating Screen
2 more MP (Don't really care about)
Live View (Don't really care about)
4FPS vs 3FPS
Video (Would be very nice, but I could live without it)
Able to upgrade to a VR lens next
Doesn't come with bag or SD card, but can figure into budget of $600
Doesn't require me to wake up at 5:00 in the morning :D

D3000 Pro's:
NEW! (The most important thing)
Bigger Screen
Would have 2 lenses (VR really isn't thattt important to me)
Guide Mode (Don't really care about)

So basically, I would like to know if you guys have had good luck with craigslist, and any tips you have for making sure I get a working camera, or if the benefits of the D5000 are even worth the exclusion of the 55-200mm lens.

I am open to other options you guys might have, but being able to print large sizes is a pretty important feature to me, so 6.1MP aka D40 might not be enough for me (I'm not one of the people that are "O, this camera has 15MP it must be great." I'm just thinking that 6.1 might start looking pretty pixilated when printing Poster-Sized photos.

Sorry that was such a long post and thanks,
John

Both the D5000 and D3000 are new release cameras, the D5000 has a far superior CMOS sensor (D3000 has a CCD sensor).

The D3000 is a slight upgrade from the D40 in some regards, but even the D40 had an incredible 1/500 flash sync that is no longer offered it seems.

The only advantage to the D3000 is price. Sure, it's a nice camera... but if you want to compare, it really doesn't match up other that size.

That said, if you can swing $800 you'd be farther ahead of the game by getting the Nikon D90 and picking your own lenses. Spending a little extra on a body and getting a $100 lens like the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 would be a great start if you ask me.

With the D90 you gain dual command dials, commander mode, internal focus motor, and more - such as direct access buttons for commonly used items that you need to go into the menus for on the other 2 bodies you mentioned.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to spend 800, but thanks for the advice. Do you think the 5000 is a lot better than the 3000 in terms of image quality, and worth getting used?

Definitely... the D5000 shares the same sensor as the D90 and D300s, your high ISO shots will be far better with less noise.

The only caution with the D5000 is that there has been a recall and 3 firmware upgrades already.

So $50 more nets you the non-VR 55-200mm and a bag, eh? Hmm.

You'll have to consider getting memory card(s), too. I'm pretty sure the cameras don't come with any.

If you're willing to wait, I'd say wait till after the holidays. If this can't wait, I'd recommend looking at online shops (B&H, Adorama, etc.) and wait for some deals to pop up. I got my D3000 + 2 4GB SD cards + UV filter + bag + lens cleaning kit from B&H for $686.95 after a $50 rebate. It's gone up since then (now at $778 for the same kit.)

As far as these two choices are concerned, I'd go with the D3000. You can always sell that 55-200mm non-VR to go towards something else (like the 55-200mm VR! :] ) Fight the crowds! Surviving a trip to get a Black Friday deal will make it all the more worthwhile afterwards :p

Yep, I've already emailed the seller for the serial number to see if its one of the ones thats been recalled, and as far as the firmware update goes...I'm pretty sure that's download and install no big deal, right?

Yeah best buy has good deals on SD cards too (I think like 8gb SD for $20), so it's not really that far over my budget. And I was thinking the same exact thing with the 55-200 Non-VR lens. I would probably get the 35mm F 1.8 w/ the money from that instead of the VR version though.

Yeah, firmware updates are gravy! (No big deal)

In this case the much better image quality and high ISO capability of the D5000 is worth more than the 55-200 mm lens and the D3000.

:lol: Don't come back here whining if you get the D3000, against our advice, and then realise the D5000 was the better deal! :lol: Unless the D5000 was trashed. :thumbup:

I too would go along with the D5000 as having the better sensor and better High-ISO capabilities. I think the better camera is the D5000. Not that he's a fantastic source, but Ken Rockwell's web site has an excellent side-by-side comparison of the D3000 with other entry-level Nikon's. The D3000 has a noisy sensor for this current era we're in.

So the D5000 is a much better camera as far as image sensor goes...but does anyone have any tips on making sure I don't get a non-working camera...I would much rather have a working D3000 than a paper-weight shaped like a D5000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back