First Dslr and starting up a photography business whats best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcguire717

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing my first canon dslr and I was looking at getting the canon 7D. I will mainly be taking family, baby, kids and sometimes amusement park visit photos. All will be taken in natural light. I am confused as to what multi purpose lense would be best to start out with as I will be adding more specific lenses down the line as a macro and a wide angle lense. I was looking at getting the canon efs 15-85 mm is lens as my first lense. But I was also looking at the tamron 18-200 mm lens. Which would be best for what my purpose is to start with? I'm new to this and want to invest in the best multi purpose lense to start with. I would love the Carl zeiss lenses but also am unsure as to which lens would best suit my needs. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

The 18-200 is a horrible lens. It's slow, not crisp. Not a pro lens. I think (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that the lens is an EF-S so if you upgrade to a full frame camera it will not work.

I would start with the 50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.8. Then buy a 70-200 2.8 then maybe a 17-55mm 2.8

Good luck!

I just want to make sure I get a lens that works for taking photos in natural light up close and also making sure I can take full body shots as well.

Before you go out and buy a camera with the sole purpose of going into business, I'd suggest that you talk to someone who's got some extensive experience. You're not going to be able to buy a camera and a lens and start making money - it's much more difficult than that. Best of luck to you.

I'm not going to go into the business side of things. You asked about lenses so here you go. The 50mm 1.4 is very fast so it is good in low light and reflectors are a necessity if you are determined to use natural light only. The 50mm can take full length and close up photos. The "zoom" ability is in your feet :)

Yes this I understand. I have a professional photographer that I'm am going to be working with. I have a design degree and know lightroom extensively. I am just in the process of trying to figure out what equipment is best for me at this point. The reason I even mentioned the tamron lens is that the photographer I know uses the 7d camera and the 18-270 lens.

I know I'm very good at taking pics. This is why I have decided to upgrade and pursue a business out of it.

The 18-270 is even worse than the 18-200 in my opinion. Stay away from the all in one lenses. They not for professionals. Don't forget older lenses can work too. A used 70-200 2.8 is A LOT more valuable to have then a new 18-270 POS.

Mcguire, "first DSLR" and "starting up a photography business" should not be in the same sentence. That is like saying "I'm shopping for my first paintbrush so I can start my own art gallery". First you have to learn the trade and then you have to learn about business. If we're talking about a 10 year plan, then all is well. But it's hardly relevant to your first lens.

So you need a fast lens for ambient light shooting. You mentioned getting a macro and wide angle later, and you want something for general purpose. For a 7D, check out the Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's a fast zoom and quite sharp for the price. You can also check out the Canon 24-70 2.8. This will be more appropriate for later when you get a full frame camera for business purposes if you decide to go that route. Avoid lenses that have a zoom factor greater than 3x. Anything beyond 3x and image quality will start to degrade drastically.

Yes this I understand. I have a professional photographer that I'm am going to be working with. I have a design degree and know lightroom extensively. I am just in the process of trying to figure out what equipment is best for me at this point. The reason I even mentioned the tamron lens is that the photographer I know uses the 7d camera and the 18-270 lens.

A pro would not use that lens

Just promise you won't learn a thing from that pro....

Gary is correct.

Furthermore, it's best to approach this forum with a healthy helping of humility. 90% of the people that say things like "I know I'm very good at taking pics" don't know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back