First Dslr and starting up a photography business whats best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mcguire, "first DSLR" and "starting up a photography business" should not be in the same sentence. That is like saying "I'm shopping for my first paintbrush so I can start my own art gallery". First you have to learn the trade and then you have to learn about business. If we're talking about a 10 year plan, then all is well. But it's hardly relevant to your first lens.

Tough love there.

Again I do not feel like anyone is listening. This is a group of photographers who I deem unprofessional and would never want to pay for any kind of job. I'll stick with what my natural light photographer is going and her way since she's making $5000 a month found it her way. I'm sure most of you don't even come close to that. Pity on you for putting people down. I'm deleting this app. A bunch of unprofessional people

I would only shoot families, babies/kids in natural light.
You might want to rethink that plan.
It would be in your best interest to learn how to use supplemental lighting if you really want to make money.
"Natural Light" fotographers are literally a dime a dozen.

Again I do not feel like anyone is listening. This is a group of photographers who I deem unprofessional and would never want to pay for any kind of job. I'll stick with what my natural light photographer is going and her way since she's making $5000 a month found it her way. I'm sure most of you don't even come close to that. Pity on you for putting people down. I'm deleting this app. A bunch of unprofessional people

:-\

The last new photographer I met wouldn't touch a wedding for that price with a 10' pole and brings in over $500,000 a year. He uses a flash.

Mcguire, did my comments seem rude to you? If so, I ask you to re-read it knowing that I meant no such thing.

I tried the 'natural light' attempt for a few months, mostly because I was more into landscapes and outdoor photography than anything. But it wasn't until I got a flash, (then 2, then 3 and 4 and 5, can't seem to get enough!) that I started to understand the subtle differences in outdoor atmospheric light, and indoor constant, often uncontrollable light. It greatly accelerated my learning. Even if you want to not have to mess with additional light in the end, just learning it is incredibly educational. There are direct parallel's between a small strobe and modifiers, and the light provided by the sun and atmosphere. I don't think I would have fully realized this, and am in fact still trying to learn as fast as I can, without experience with portable off camera flashes and modifiers.

We're really trying to help you out here.

she's a goner.
I can't believe i actually took my time to read through all this just for the sole purpose of helping a person who is reluctant to help.

This thread is insane.
First I want to tell you: I could NOT be a natural light photographer. It's harder than HELL.
If a client asks you to shoot HERE and you are in harsh sun, back lit with issues? You have to tell the client you can't use their choice because it won't work without flash. It just won't. Once you expose properly for the subject in that situation you then begin to have lens issues and the subject begins to disapper in the incredible amount of light from the sun. You MUST always shoot in open shade on a sunny day and you are EXTREMELY limited in the time of day you can shoot. And those times aren't incredibly convient to clients' schedules.
There are a FEW photographers who do it and do it well. The GOOD ones are very few, and the ones who aren't so great are a dime a dozen. How do I know that? I go to WPPi every year and every year I see the first year newbies like you thinking just like you do. The second year they are either long gone or they are taking classes on lighting because they want to succeed. The ability to shoot ONE shoot a day and only on the good days is not condusive to a good income from this. And if you think $5000 a month is a good income from this, well you just paid my overhead, but that's about all. It's PEANUTS compared to what a GOOD photographer with skills who can deliver exactly what the client wants WHEN the client wants it (not at dusk or dawn or a cloudy day) has the potential to make. Your friend is hitting the ceiling at $5k for natural light. If that's fine for you, I guess it's fine for you. Be at the whim of nature and turn down the demanding client who pays BIG BUCKS to be demanding.
Do you see any of my point? It's not being rude or mean or hateful, it's telling you the things I have learned in my 20 years in this business.

You asked for advice from a group of SEASONED professionals who have been there, done that. You are arguing the same argument that some of them thought or even argued when they started out-and learned the hard way. If that isn't stubborn? Well, then I really don't know what is.

At this point you are going to pack up all of your righteous indignation and leave. It's the people like you I meet at WPPi and Imaging every year who are no longer in the business. They don't want to learn it, and don't. So, the business is more expensive to be in than you can imagine and they aren't getting the income they need to make it. They're gone in a year. No one here wants to see you fail. They're answering and giving their experiences so that you can learn. No one is sitting here typing because it's fun for them to spend time talking to thin air. They are doing it because they enjoy sharing their knowledge with us and if it helps someone to succeed down the line that's a pretty amazing feeling.
These people have been there done that. You have the potential to be your friend's low end competition or you have the potential to be a completely different type of photographer than her, to compliment each other and lastly to supass her income because of your flexibility.

In life, one can have many friends, you have to ask yourself this though. Are these friends telling you the truth or just telling you what you want to hear.

I prefer honesty...

I can't believe a thread titled "first dslr and starting up a photography business" got 69 replies.

Or wait....

I can believe it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back