First DSLR - Suggested dslr + lens combo? :)

thepastelrose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!

I'm a budding enthusiast looking to purchase my first dslr, I have a lot to learn so any input would be fantastic. I will eventually be upgrading the body to a full frame camera but would still enjoy a good, cheaper crop censored body to begin with. I would also like to invest in decent lenses for shooting fast moving kids, indoor portraits (possibly in lower lighting), street photography/street candids, as well as some landscapes and architecture. A good lens will also be important in the future. I will be making vlogs and filming family events with the camera. I'm keen to acquire a prime in my first dslr + lens set. My budget is approximately AUD$1200. (I will be purchasing these second hand)

I have considered:

1) Canon 600d/650d + 24-105mm f/4 L lens (walkaround) + Canon 50mm f/1.8 (low light portraits)
2) Canon 600d/650d + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (walkaround) + another lens
3) Nikon d7000/d5200 + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (walkaround/ may be applied to the canon as well) + a cheaper 85mm
4) Nikon d7000/d5200 + Nikkor 35mm 1.8g or Nikkor 50mm 1.8g (walkaround and low light) + another zoom lens

I'm not looking to purchase the kit lenses for any of the above camera's at the moment. So, I'm trying to decide whether I should go for the higher end entry level camera's such ad the nikon's (will cost approx. $800), as I'm afraid I might very quickly outgrow the canon 600d/650d/t3i/t4i (approx. $500) OR whether I should invest in decent glass and stick with a lower end beginner's dslr. Any other recommendations would be fantastic as well!

Just a side note:
I do value the supposedly better video quality of the canon dslr's as well as their signature warmer tones, but this isn't really a deal breaker. I also know that the nikon body produces outstanding image quality, spec wise.

I'm also wondering whether I should wait for the rumoured replacement for the nikon d7000 and canon 7d to purchase either of those or get the dslr's above at a hopefully decreased price.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long read!

I cannot speak for Canon as I have never used their products but, considering you're serious enough to look into FX in the future, I would recommend the D7000 with the 50mm lens as it is a very good camera and the 50mm is a full frame lens (unlike the Tamron zoom you're looking at). I can't comment on the video though as I don't do any video on my cameras! So, you may want to ignore my advice for now and wait till some Canon/Nikon video users can chime in (hopefully with examples!).

Both the Canon and Nikon on your list are good cameras so you cant go wrong with either.
I would go with option number 4, Nikon has the advantage in low light and while they say Canon DSLR are great in Video I can tell you unless you are a very finiky video user the Nikon shoots outstanding videos.
I own the Nikon D7000 and its picture quality is amazing and while I never use a DSLR as a video camera I did try the video on my D7000 and it was very good.

Also consider the system you want to "marry" into. Both Nikon and Canon are good brands Canon being more popular to the masses. (Discussing whether which is better for me is like a religious debate.) But also the availability, cost of lenses and accessories as well as service in your area should also be put into play. For example in some areas such as the Philippines, Canon has a full-blown subsidiary whereas Nikon has only accredited third-party dealers. Given this the market is biased more to Canon despite Nikon's merits. A clear example of this is that Nikon dealers do not carry much inventory of lenses and other accessories. Being small businesses, these dealers do not have the resources to stock up on inventory leaving you to rely more on the grey market often at more expensive prices. Canon has become the more practical choice. Also you may have to wait for a couple of years or even more on the rumored D7100 and 7D. It is obvious that new models do not come out every year and AFAIK no specifics have really been released by both companies and it's still all rumor. :)

Last edited:
One more thing about the replacement of the D7000, it will be considerably more expensive then the D7000.
I was talking to a guy who bought his D7000 when it just came out abuot 2 years ago.
He told me he paid just for the body 1600$.
I bought my D7000 a little over a month ago and paid 999$ for the camera with the 18-105mm lens.
Cameras are always the most expensive in their first few months and then as time goes by they go down in price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back