First dSlR!!

Jessticles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi im new to this forum and this is my first post!! :mrgreen:
I am, going to be buying my first SLR cam in a week or so, primarily i want to photograph nature and wildlife but i also enjoy photograping people. I am not a professional photographer so i am not looking for anything extra special! The cameras that i am looking at currently are the canon eos range (350d up) and the olympus e510-20 as i have read amazing reviews of this camera for the type of work im interested in.
I have researched slrs for a while now, but now ive come to a hault as i dont know which camera to go and buy!

I would really appreciate youre input on this matter, wether you think either of the cameras would be more suitable or if you have any other camera in mind, i look forward to youre responses!

Thanks, Jess:D

step one - Budget budget budget ;)
we need to know how much you have to spend on this in order to advise best.
Any of the canon rebel cameras (350, 400 or 450) are good cameras for starting on and not confusing the user though I would say go for the 400 or 350 as the 450 has fewer frames per second count (as a result of larger photo sizes) which is not helpful for wildlife where many times you have to shoot like a machine gun to get shots

Most importantly though is not the body but the lens on the body - as its the lens that lets you get the shots, the body just records what the lens sees (and by extension the most important part is you the photographer)

im buying the cam here in hungary, as im here atm and i can get whichever cam i choose very cheap, so really any of the cams ive stated there i can afford. and i know ill have to dish out after for lenses, but i have looked around on some sites and will be able to get them second hand.

i have many pros and cons to both machine types and i just dont know where to go!

400d is a very good camera IMO,
but for the price i'd buy a used 20D but thats just me!

if you went canon you always have the advantage of if you get really into it, you can always splash out on some very sharp L lenses!

Well both are good cameras and systems - the Olympuses does have the image stabalization built into the camera whilst the canon cameras (the entire range not just the rebels) don't and you have to get it in the lenses. This means that the lenses with IS cost more, but IS in the lens is shown to be better on average than IS in the camera body.
I think firstly you have to decide how much you are looking to get into this hobby a little as the wildlife kit gets expensive very quickly. After that look at the lenses that you think will be best for you (both now and in future purchases) and see which company makes lenses which you want since its them that are very key in photography

thats why im leaning more towards the canons, there are a vast variety of accesories for canons whereas for the oly, lenses are just not as available.... so im really thorn.... i love what ive read about the oly in terms of wildlife photography but then im inlove with the canon range lol....
im like a little child in a candy store (i want everything.... lol)

and the is isnt such a big problem, i mean its nice to jave it built in and not need to spend so much on is lenses, but even if i went with the canon i wouldnt mind spening on is.... so i really just dunno.... and price wise im gonna be at about the same with the original kits with the oly or canon, but then lenses for the canon or oly are extra and theres more availability again with the canon lenses second hand.... so i just dont know....

i have given the name of three cameras to the guy who is getting it for me, and told him whihcever he can get easiest to go with so i guess its up to faith now....

ah im just so confused....

sorry about the long reply :)

The canon lens range is very nice and if you can afford it (first or second hand) the top end lenses - L lenses - are very much worth their cost.
Out of interset which lenses are you looking at possbly getting if you were to go canon?

If wildlife photography is your primary interest you will be better off choosing a lens first and then matching a camera to it... a good, fast, long lens for wildlife cost more then most digital SLR bodies.

Most reactions

Back