First Engagement Shoot: Ferny + Nabil (Professional-ish?)

xKncptRagex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys/gals, this was my first engagement shoot. I hope to one day start my own photography business and I'm getting started with these pictures. Obviously I need to improve every day, but let me know what you think of these photos. Professional? Semi-Pro? Comments and Constructive criticism always welcome!

BTW all photos taken with a Canon 5D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM, Photoshop CS5 edited.

7037664059_e01b54bdfb_b.jpg

7037663665_55df491d9b_b.jpg

6891568514_99e480667a_b.jpg

7037662433_381e4e0041_b.jpg

Last edited:
Although it is implied, I would like to mention that this is just my opinion, nothing else:

Image 1: Posing of the girl could have been improved by avoiding the right arm to just hang... Also the sky is blown out too much. I like theie expression and general feeling but they seemed a little tense. Also, if would have been possible, I would have avoided those poles and the street lamp.

Image 2: Good idea but the idea was not expressed properly. The metal bar between them is arguably a good element but the clutter behind with poles and wires is a definite no for me. I would not have chosen this for the client...

Image 3: I very good one! I love it: good expression, nice mimics, very good skin tone, good composition. I would have corrected the lint on the left arm of the girl - nothing else.

Image 4: A good image also. I can see however that you had directional light available and chose to place it in front of the subjects and you shot from behind. If the light was too harsh it was probably a good decision but if not, the directional light wold have brought more depth to the image and more texture detail. Also, I would have shot dozens of photos while they were walking in order to get one with both of them in clear motion - the guy looks like he's standing not walking like the girl.

I would also like to add that the photographer should get involved in the way the subjects dress for the shoot. Of course, within limits... Their outfits may represent their personalities but do not really match...

I hope you take this the right way as I have no intention to trash anyone's work.

Although it is implied, I would like to mention that this is just my opinion, nothing else:
First off, thanks for your input!
Image 1: Posing of the girl could have been improved by avoiding the right arm to just hang... Also the sky is blown out too much. I like theie expression and general feeling but they seemed a little tense. Also, if would have been possible, I would have avoided those poles and the street lamp.
I totally agree with you on the posing of the girl. I tried continually to get them to relax but maybe I just wasn't making my directions clear enough, I definitely have to work on trying to make the subject(s) more at ease and comfortable. As for the tense feeling, I think it has to do a lot with their personalities. They're both very camera shy. I actually wanted to include the poles and street lamps. This was taken at an old train station that was converted into a museum so I really wanted to get that train station feel to it.

Image 2: Good idea but the idea was not expressed properly. The metal bar between them is arguably a good element but the clutter behind with poles and wires is a definite no for me. I would not have chosen this for the client...
Gotcha. Again, I wanted the poles to be in it for the train station feel. But I agree it could have been executed better.

Image 3: I very good one! I love it: good expression, nice mimics, very good skin tone, good composition. I would have corrected the lint on the left arm of the girl - nothing else.
The lint! I saw that and meant to correct it, damn it! haha I'll definitely fix it though, can't believe I forgot.

Image 4: A good image also. I can see however that you had directional light available and chose to place it in front of the subjects and you shot from behind. If the light was too harsh it was probably a good decision but if not, the directional light wold have brought more depth to the image and more texture detail. Also, I would have shot dozens of photos while they were walking in order to get one with both of them in clear motion - the guy looks like he's standing not walking like the girl.
Yeah, I would have liked to face them the opposite way but there was an ugly green fence in the opposite direction so I decided to go with what the photo shows. I actually had quite a few of them actually walking but was not as happy with any of them. I felt this was the best one, but yeah, I wish he would have placed one foot forward.

I would also like to add that the photographer should get involved in the way the subjects dress for the shoot. Of course, within limits... Their outfits may represent their personalities but do not really match...
Hm, I didn't think of that. I just told them to wear something nice that they haven't worn yet. I should've told them to match. Good tips, thanks!

I hope you take this the right way as I have no intention to trash anyone's work.

:thumbup:

1,2 and 4 are a bit soft and a little over exposed. White balance is running a bit hot too. 3 is pretty decent. Got any more?

Yeah I messed with the clarity to give a softer effect. As for the exposure, I upped the fill light because their faces were a little dark. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by the white balance running hot? They were warmed up in photoshop. I do have more but I felt these 4 were the best ones.

Nice set of photos. #1 looks to be toward the end of the shoot. They have that "are we done yet" look lol
#2 as mentioned above has way too much going on.
#3 is the best of the bunch, I love genuine photos and this is one
#4 I'm not really feeling. You gotta get that "walking" shot but the background is really blah

It looks like you want out and looked at a bunch of pictures and then tried to copy them.
Engagements are about the relationship....time must be spent getting the couple to relax and show you the relationship. Then shoot....you guessed it...the relationship.
Once they get into it then it is fun to try a couple artsy shots.

1 looks like you said, "go stand by that rail." click
1 looks like you said "go stand on opposite sides of the stairs, turn and smile at each other." click
3 is your best shot, they have natural smiles, maybe a genuine moment in that one...not standing naturally and the photo is underexposed.
4 they need to be standing or walking, looks like they were caught in the middle. From this distance should have included their heads and they could have been interfacing, or crop it tighter and make is more of a pano and crop more of the top off.

You really need to learn to use aperture to control DOF.. those busy backgrounds kill the shots..

It looks like you want out and looked at a bunch of pictures and then tried to copy them.
Engagements are about the relationship....time must be spent getting the couple to relax and show you the relationship. Then shoot....you guessed it...the relationship.
Once they get into it then it is fun to try a couple artsy shots.

1 looks like you said, "go stand by that rail." click
Exactly what I did.
1 looks like you said "go stand on opposite sides of the stairs, turn and smile at each other." click
Exactly what I did.
3 is your best shot, they have natural smiles, maybe a genuine moment in that one...not standing naturally and the photo is underexposed.
Thanks! do you mean underexposed as a whole? I felt there faces are pretty spot on..?
4 they need to be standing or walking, looks like they were caught in the middle. From this distance should have included their heads and they could have been interfacing, or crop it tighter and make is more of a pano and crop more of the top off.

Wow, it's crazy how spot on you were. Being my first shoot, that is exactly what I did. I looked at various other shots and pretty much set out to emulate them. But yeah, you're right, I should have focused more on them rather then getting the types of pictures down. From what they tell me, they were overall happy with the pictures but I felt I needed a re-shoot. We'll see what they end up deciding.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps a lot.

Yeah I messed with the clarity to give a softer effect. As for the exposure, I upped the fill light because their faces were a little dark. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by the white balance running hot? They were warmed up in photoshop. I do have more but I felt these 4 were the best ones.

Hot = yellow
cool = blue

Seems like you figured it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back