First event shoot- winter festival CC

They are nice snapshots.

A lot of them would improve with a simple angle change, get down on their level instead of look down at them.

Actually, majorily they were above me. Maybe 2 or3 I shot down at them.

Those 2 or 3 are the ones she is talking about ;) The slide shots! Also watch your shadow when the sun is behind you.... that is YOUR shadow on the yellow part of the slide, right?

I don't think it is actually, but I can't say for certain.

You have the eye. The rest of it is technical stuff, anyone with an I.Q. of more than 10 can learn that. :) .... for some of us it just takes a little longer ;)

Angel, the 2nd set is a lot more consistant. The facial expressions are suburb in all but the last shot. 2nd to last shot has great eye contact. 1st picture you cut off the hand, but you already knew that. Try recropping to tighten up your pictures.

As Lighspeed said, just change your settings and shoot in RAW. It doesn't change how you shoot. If you're using Nikon View NX 2 for processing, you're home free.

Not bad at all. I don't even see a lot I can gripe about. A few nitpicks but all in all a very well done set.

I do agree with the comment about #1, I don't like the back of the painter's head. Even an oblique shot that got both at an angle would have been preferable.

As Tirediron mentioned, some fill flash would have helped in a number of them.

I'd be pleased with them if I were you ;)

Thanks. Well I've gotten some really great advice from various places on compensating for a busy background for next time. I'll try being more wary of the backgrounds. Thanks.

Also the reason I didn't do tighter crops in PP is I didn't want to degrade the quality of the files too much when giving them to the church to use.

Not a bad effort; some fill light wouldn't have gone amiss, but overall, good work.

Same here.:thumbup:
Don't be afraid to embrace the light.

All of your photos have very tight cropping. That kit lens goes to 18mm ya know.

Not a bad effort; some fill light wouldn't have gone amiss, but overall, good work.
Same here.:thumbup:Don't be afraid to embrace the light.
The reason I haven't been using added light was because I don't have an external flash, just the on camera flash and from what I've heard that's pretty much to be avoided, but I got some good advice on home made diffusers for next time.

Not bad for your first event I think. Take note that several of these are underexposed... particularly the ones with snow. You probably know why but if not, I'm willing to bet you could figure it out quickly. The good news is that because you have the RAW files, you can fix this quite easily at the cost of introducing a bit of noise (which can also be controlled with the raw convertor).

I've found that processing RAW files and editing is something that takes practice and evolves over time, just like other aspects of photography. Fortunately, unlike other aspects of photography, you can take a 'redo' later on down the road once you have learned more. I've found that some shots that I processed when I first started were able to be improved dramatically with a different way of processing them.

Not bad for your first event I think. Take note that several of these are underexposed... particularly the ones with snow. You probably know why but if not, I'm willing to bet you could figure it out quickly. The good news is that because you have the RAW files, you can fix this quite easily at the cost of introducing a bit of noise (which can also be controlled with the raw convertor).

I've found that processing RAW files and editing is something that takes practice and evolves over time, just like other aspects of photography. Fortunately, unlike other aspects of photography, you can take a 'redo' later on down the road once you have learned more. I've found that some shots that I processed when I first started were able to be improved dramatically with a different way of processing them.

Thanks

Same here.:thumbup:Don't be afraid to embrace the light.
The reason I haven't been using added light was because I don't have an external flash, just the on camera flash and from what I've heard that's pretty much to be avoided, but I got some good advice on home made diffusers for next time.

You also should be able to dial back the flash output so it's not as strong. If you make a diy diffuser that will affect the light output also so you may not need to dial back when you start using. Don't rush it, work with the RAWs to brighten, add fill light, etc.. You just got your new camera so its something you can work towards down the road.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back