First ever Macro shot...

Aelfwyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just trying to get the hang of how macro works...

Straight from the camera, no fiddling done. Sorry for the large size!

Rose_after_Rain_2_by_Elfdaughter.jpg

You can't link directly from Deviantart. Try Photobucket.com

Can you not see it either? I know Deviant Art's been playing up lately, I didn't realise it was that bad. *sighs* OK, let me upload it onto Photobucket.

Edit: Mike, I've done it before, and I can see it fine. Wierd. OK, photobucket it is.

Actually...I saw the photo through the link.
It seems the focal point is the rose in the back and not the rose in front. Something about that feels awkward to me. It would be a fine focal point...but perhaps you could adjust the composition to include less of the flower up front.
Just an idea. =]

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how I managed that - I was aiming at the front rose! lol! Maybe I was just too close.

Aelfwyn said:
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how I managed that - I was aiming at the front rose! lol! Maybe I was just too close.

That's happened to me plenty of times. I just get too close for my lens' own good.
What camera/lens did you use?
I tend to do shots like this with the D50 18-55 lens. Although I am starting to find that the 50mm lens does a decent job as well.
Ah for the day I have a good Macro lens!

Unfortunately, I just have a little jazzed up point-and-shoot. (Sony Cybershot) The lowest focus range I have is 0.5m.

wht i would say;

Too much distraction (black grill - broken leafs etc) - Choose your background carefully.

Focus - as mentioned above, i would suggest setting to macro mode and go closer to the subject, or crop the image.

Other than that, its nice :)

i'm no pro in photography but these are once the advice given to me when i first got into macro photography :p i might be wrong tho.. Anyway which model of Cyber-Shot are you using? it isnt written on your EXIF information (edit : oops post came in right after yours)

"Focus - as mentioned above, i would suggest setting to macro mode and go closer to the subject, or crop the image."

I WAS in macro mode!! lol!

Yeah, I'm using the DSC-P71.

Yeah, I didn't really have the ability to change the background - like I said, I was walking through the Minster grounds, and just took the opportunity. It's also come straight from the camera, so I probably will crop it down.

Well, to my mind this is a close-up of the rose but not a real macro.
But your camera suggests it is one since this is the mode that gives you a wide angle, wide open aperture and thus the chance to move up closer to your subject than you'd normally be able to (in "normal mode") ... and then you are still limited by your camera. And if you have to use auto-focus, the camera sometimes plays tricks on you and focuses on something all different than you were aiming at, in this case it is the wet leaves and the dead flower but not the flower in front.

Try and try again, also in brighter weather situations and you'll learn how your camera works better and better. It is not the camera that takes the pic, it is the photographer!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back