FIrst ever "model" shoot

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please give me some honest critique on these!!

It was my first time doing an adult. I was in a studio with black paper as a backdrop, which I darkened because it came out almost gray. Ill be shooting adults in this type of situation again so please let me know what you think!!

c11-1.jpg

c8-1.jpg

c9-1.jpg

c7-1.jpg

in 3 and 4 i can also see where you missed some spots in darkening ...

#2 looks rather cruel to her face ... too many reflections. either you need some softer light, or some make up, or some serious postprocessing. in #2 IMHO

I like the smile in the last one, get her to smile more often :)

I agree about the lighting. I actualy wanted it a LOT softer but the photographer I was with was in charge of the lighting. She really dug the harsh contrast.

Ah! I did miss spots!! Hehe woops :)

in 3 and 4 i can also see where you missed some spots in darkening ...

#2 looks rather cruel to her face ... too many reflections. either you need some softer light, or some make up, or some serious postprocessing. in #2 IMHO

I like the smile in the last one, get her to smile more often :)

I took a few seconds and tried some post processing. I think it helps to soften her features some. I used an Action called Porcelain Skin.

c8-1.jpg

Holy cow. That's amazing Lyncca!! Can you share where you found the action...?

Jaime,

black velvet is a good investment, it's the only thing that can get a lot of light on it and still be black. Black paper can work, but you have to have a lot of distance behind the subject to let the light fall off. Were you using strobes or incandescent lights?

Jaime,

black velvet is a good investment, it's the only thing that can get a lot of light on it and still be black. Black paper can work, but you have to have a lot of distance behind the subject to let the light fall off. Were you using strobes or incandescent lights?

I believe they were strobes. Basically huge lamps that you can adjust. Strobes, yes? :)

Yea the backdrops were white paper or black paper. Velvet huh, that's a good idea. One day Id like to have my own studio so this was a great experience for me, even with the mess ups and critiques!! Only makes you stronger. Any other opinions?! :)

In #1, the burn-job is sort of blotchy... and the stool is tilted... #2- can you burn out the white in her eye? Otherwise like it- especially with Lyncca's edit.
Other than that and what has already been mentioned... I like these shots.

In #1, the burn-job is sort of blotchy... and the stool is tilted... #2- can you burn out the white in her eye? Otherwise like it- especially with Lyncca's edit.
Other than that and what has already been mentioned... I like these shots.

Good idea about birning out the white in her eye...ill try that.

I didnt realize that the actions cost money...poo.

I think you will find that if you white balance these, the lighting won't be nearly so weird.
You were shooting RAW hopefully.

Ok so I played around on PS and did an edit...what do you guys think?

Before:
c8-1.jpg

After:
c8better.jpg

Two things went way wrong here. The first is that I suspect you shot JPEG. Never Ever Ever shoot Jpeg on a client.
The result is a tunsten lighting, which is really red, as seen in your photos.
The other problem I found while fixing one, was that you were two stops under. A full two stops.
Not bad for a first time, but there are a few things you need to consider.
Here is the original:
c8-1.jpg

And this version that is white balanced and exposure corrected.
fixed.jpg

Happy shooting.

Most reactions

Back