first fashion photography shoot

flightless_beaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing my first fashion shoot next weekend. I'm doing this for a friend for her senior project. I'm a bit nervous about how this is going to turn out cause I've never done anything to this magnitude before. It is in Philly. The three locations are Love Park, Market Street and the steps of Union League. I've done some research. However, does anyone have any tips from someone who is experienced in fashion shoots?

I would suggest that you run by the locations before the shoot, pick out where you would like to shoot, possible angles etc. Try and be there during the same hours of the day that you'll be shooting to see where the light falls. Watch the backgrounds, try and keep them as clean as possible, too many people consentrate on the subject but forget that the background can make of break alot of images. Where possible a shallow depth of field will help separate that subject/background. Big thing relax, if it doesn't work out exactly the way you want, you can re-shoot it, as the shoot goes on your model should start to relax a little more, you'll see it in the face. Take short breaks, have some water with you, for both of you. Makes a difference. Most of all enjoy it.

Get more lighting, one 580EX Flash is not enough for this type of work.

When we shoot fashion on location we bring at least 2 large strobes (700W/S or higher) now because you are doing this for little or no money, why not rent a set of strobes for the weekend and practice with them.

If this is not an option, spend some time with someone at each of the locations before the shoot and practice your lighting and scout for the best locations before the shoot.

In no particular order:

1) If you are posing your model(s), lots of neck. Make them stick their necks out as much as possible without looking stupid.
2) Body and limbs equidistant from the lens.
3) Do not shoot anyone straight-on unless they are really skinny. By really skinny I mean less about 110-115lbs if they are of normal height.
4) If you're shooting in environmental settings then the shoot will have an editorial feel. There needs to be some kind of context for this to work. It could be as simple as a stroll through the park. Do not pose anyone on steps. Get them walking down the steps. They need to be doing something.
5) Fashion models should have minimal presence. Just enough to not f*** up the shoot. The emphasis is on the clothes, not the person. If you try too hard to make them act you're likely to miss the mark unless they're very practiced.
-----(a) If they're giving you stupid expressions, try having them scrunch up their face in strange ways and then let go. It will relax the face and you should get a normal look.
-----(b) Most people cannot "think of something funny" on command. Don't waste your time asking someone to do this.
6) Don't try any weird or "creative" angles.
7) Shadows will f up your s. They detract from the clothes. Fill-flash if you need to.
8) Rim-lighting is always good.
9) Light on the hair is extremely important. If there's no natural light then bring some.

Good advice so far. imagemaker, the one problem is I live 100 miles from philly so I can't run by them unfortunately. I did a search to check out the locations so I have a better idea. Not ideal as I would rather physically walk through but its better than nothing. Atleast I can analyze other's photos and gauge what time of day they were there.

SpeedTrap, thanks for the advice. I was gonna bring one 580EXII and I'm planning on renting 2 more. What would you suggest in terms of modifiers?

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of setting up, or you're shooting in flat/low light, modifiers are not gonna be super important. An omni-bounce or lightsphere or something could be handy but I'm not afraid to shoot without one when necessary.

I have a fashion shoot this weekend i am doing for a friend and the only thing i plan on using is a couple of reflectors and 2 human tripod :D:D

Let me ask this question. With the 7D I can shoot the flashes wirelessly. Though to do it, you have to have the popup flash. It drives me bat**** insane when I have to do that. Would this be a good time to finally invest in the Pocket Wizard? I mean, I need to get it anyway for my business when I finally open shop and I like excuses to buy new photo equipment :D

Bring a 5 in 1 reflector, you can shoot through the defuser or bounce the flash off the the white or silver sides.

I think you need to get in your element if you want to pull this off. And you need to try to focus on your subject. Get your subject into an area with flat light or some rim-lighting, fill-flash if you need to, and go to work. If you are not in your element working with multiple flashes then now is not the time to start. You cannot get practiced enough by renting them and toying around with them for a weekend.

Thanks for the advice everyone. When I do the shoot and finish editing, I'll have to post them for c&c.

I got let go. The person I was doing the project for and I had a conflict of interest. She didn't feel my experience was enough and didn't feel comfortable using me. Her loss. So no C&C in the coming weeks.....oh well. Be honest though, I'm a portrait photographer and don't have much interest in fashion. Was just trying to help out a friend and learn some new tricks.

Most reactions

Back