First Fashion Show

For9Studios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello - I was asked to do a Fashion Show and not too much details were given regarding the lighting. It ended up with no actual runway lights but with strobe/disco type lights. Also, it was at club where is was packed and I could not move around as much as I would have liked. The lighting conditions were hard to work with.

Any C&C would be great! Also, if anyone has tips on how to shot in a club/bar type setting would be great as I have a few coming up soon! I have the following as my equipment:

Canon 50D or 5D, 16-35mm L 2.8, 70-200mm L 2.8, 85L 1.2, 50mm 2.8, and 15mm Fisheye 2.8. I have a Speedlite 580 EXII.

Here are the pics that I think turned out decent - all in all the Fashion Designer liked them and that is what matters but I'm always looking to get better:

789649010_o2VHA-M-2.jpg

789646214_kMnqd-L-2.jpg

789651252_purrw-L-2.jpg

789654508_kjWD6-L-2.jpg

That's a tough gig. Did you shoot these with your 16-35? And how were the photo's received?

Yes, at the time I only had the 16-35 and that is what I used. The fashion designer liked the pictures. The models as well. I've seen a couple on their portfolios. It was tough, especially the fact it was my first time and the lighting conditions. But there is a first for everything and a good learning experience.

I couple things I learned:

1. Try to get there early to do test shots, in fact, see if they have any rehearsals scheduled and try to make it.

2. I was lucky cause I think 16-35 was a good lens to use and it is what I had. I'm going to use that again this Saturday.

3. Chat with the other photographers at the show. While some may not interact with you most of them are ok and exchange tips.

4. I think next time I need to figure out how to freeze the subject and have the background blurred (I've seen pictures at clubs with that affect).

Tom4456 - yes, I agree. I wanted to but the conditions didn't allow for it, the stage was not your normal catwalk. Thanks for the feedback - I felt the same after I saw the shots and you confirmed my feeling.

I really like the first one... The contract between the orange and blue.

I shot a runway show at a bridal fair last weekend and had similar issues. Fortunately, I was able to make the rehearsal the day before to do some test shots and the lighting guys were there and willing to make some adjustments for me. They used a group of spots on the stage.

I still ended up with noise issues because I was using my kit lens (18-55mm), but the 18mm close up stuff came out great for the most part. Had I known, I would have used my 28mm 1.8 instead of the short zoom.

not a big fan of any of them but 3 has a really neat lighting scenario for the outfit..

Most reactions

Back