First HDR attempt...C&C please!

AutoEuphoria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just trying out the new camera and some software I got.

This one was made to look a little more realistic. 3 shots used (+2, 0, -2 EV):
HDR3SM.jpg

These were with a little more toying around with the settings...again, 3 exposures (+2, 0, -2 EV).
HDR2SM.jpg

HDR1SM.jpg

I need to get a better tripod so that I can take more than just the 3 shots with no movement of the camera. I tried taking 5 shots for each picture by setting up the AEB for -1, 0, +1 for one shot and -2,0,+2 for the next, but the camera moved slightly between shots, so I wasn't able to merge all 5 shots without it being blurry or taking a lot of time aligning them manually.

Anyway, just trying things out...nothing great, but it's a start!

EDIT:
Might as well ask this.

How do you set up everything to take exposures beyond the +2/-2 range, when the scale only goes up to 2? I'd like to be able to take more than just the 3 or 5 pictures eventually.

they just look like snapshots to me i dont see the HDR or am i missing something

The problem with the HDR image is that there isnt enough range in the original images. HDR is really used to bring out the details in images with a wide range details through light and dark areas. That being said the third of the images shows this best. Also to many people look for the "cartoony" look when they see HDR mentioned.

Agree...the best looking HDR images (to me) are the ones that look the most natural. It so important to have that range! The overcast day may have limitted you.

I think alot of people do not truely understand what HDR is really used for, or its main purpose. A good HDR should be one where you cannot tell has been used. it is used to gain all the deatail from the highlights aswell as the shadows. This is obviously debatible if you are going for that painting/carntoony look which in some instances can produce some reallu neat looking results.

anywho..not trying to start an hrd debate.

I think the O.P is off to a good start. i would just advise you the next time you go to make an HDR, try and think of why would be using the process.

How do you set up everything to take exposures beyond the +2/-2 range, when the scale only goes up to 2? I'd like to be able to take more than just the 3 or 5 pictures eventually.

My camera has terrible Auto exposure bracketing, because it has little range. So i usually just go into P mode, and just scroll the dial to different EV steps, with what ever range you want. This does create some camera movement, but with the hdr's iv taken, it hasnt been noticible

I used some of the techniques and suggestions from the previous post and shot this new one...

Composed with Dynamic Photo HDR...7 shots (-1.5 through +2)

PipeHDRcroppedsmall.jpg

Here are a couple of shots I took of the car today, too....same kind of thing with the HDR...still trying to get used to the program and process.

1-18-09HDR2croppedsmall.jpg

Here's the same shot as above, only just a regular snapshot at 0EV

IMG_0035AF0JPGRetouchedsmall.jpg

1-18-09HDR3croppedsmall.jpg

1-18-09HDR4smallcropped.jpg

1-18-09HDR5croppedsmall.jpg

The problem you are having with your HDR photos is that you are not getting enough range of shadow and highlights. When choosing to use HDR you should have areas where there is almost no detail due to shadows and over exposure. If you have those issues thats when you want to use HDR. The image you show above of your car is exposed pretty well which is why your HDR is not coming out all that much like an HDR.

I think I understand...so for a really good HDR picture you would need to have parts that would be too dark if exposed for the light parts and light parts that would be blown out if exposed for the dark parts, correct?

I think I understand...so for a really good HDR picture you would need to have parts that would be too dark if exposed for the light parts and light parts that would be blown out if exposed for the dark parts, correct?
Bingo! That is the idea anyway. I can show you what I mean if you would like....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back