First Lightning Shots

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well last night we had quite an electrical storm in Calgary and I grabbed my go bag and tripod. I drove to a great spot I like to grab weather shots at and came out with the these two photos. This was my first time trying to capture lightning and the first time I realized just how hard it is to get a good focus when you have nothing to focus on when its pitch black! Thoughts and criticism welcome.

Attachments

• $DSC_6640.jpg
    $DSC_6640.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 117
  • $DSC_6664.jpg
    $DSC_6664.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Good shots for a first try. How did you survive the "large" hail, or did you wait for it to pass?

WesternGuy

Thanks WesternGuy. I waited for the storm to pass over calgary and then trailed behind it towards Strathmore. So I managed to miss the hail thankfully

Cool - would love to have go at some lightning photos - get very few lightning occurance in Wellington NZ

This summer has been pretty bad for the storms. We've had a number of tornado's touch down and electrical storms at least once if not twice a week since June. Some rather small and quick, others that last a few hours and brought hail the size of base balls.

Last edited:
Thanks WesternGuy. I waited for the storm to pass over calgary and then trailed behind it towards Strathmore. So I managed to miss the hail thankfully

Now that was a good plan, why didn't I think of that one - next time - probably won't have to wait too long with our weather the way it is, but then, as you probably know, it could snow any day of the week too :lol: :mrgreen: :confused: .

WesternGuy

P.S. Did you get any pics of the hail that came in the first wave of the storm?

WesternGuy said:
Now that was a good plan, why didn't I think of that one - next time - probably won't have to wait too long with our weather the way it is, but then, as you probably know, it could snow any day of the week too :lol: :mrgreen: :confused: .

WesternGuy

Unfortunately not. I'm in Riverbend and we didn't even get any. I've lived in Calgary for about 4 years (2005 - 2008, Vancouver 2008 - 2011 and back in Calgary since December 2011) and have yet to see any of this infamous hail I keep hearing about. I'm keeping my eyes open for it though!

WesternGuy said:

WesternGuy

Unfortunately not. I'm in Riverbend and we didn't even get any. I've lived in Calgary for about 4 years (2005 - 2008, Vancouver 2008 - 2011 and back in Calgary since December 2011) and have yet to see any of this infamous hail I keep hearing about. I'm keeping my eyes open for it though!

Yes, the hail can be very spotty. I have actually seen it hail on one side of the street and not the other. I will try and get some pics next time, but I wasn't about to run out into the "looney" sized hail and risk all to grab some during the last episode.:shock: :mrgreen:

WesternGuy

P.S. For those that aren't aware, the term "looney" is used to describe the Canadian One Dollar coin which features a loon on one side. It is 2.7 cm in diameter (a little more than 1"). It does not refer to "crazy Canucks" who would run out into storms where large size hail is pelting down! :mrgreen:

I've been on a couple storm chase tours out in the Great Plains before (courtesy of my local college) and have seen some really good lightning pics come from those. For someone doing this for the first time, I have to say that your work is very very impressive!

Very nice for first attempt. I'm still waiting to catch at storm for my first try

Woah. Powerful images, I like the second one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back