First monolight purchase

The speed rings are different. You ever think of a Brolly box?

I ordered a set once and Found it hard to insert the when it had a trigger attached to the bottom. The hole in the canter looked more geared towards a monolight being inserted than a speedlight. I could insert the flash all the way in, but then couldn't adjust the settings.

Think I could use a mount like this?

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Bowen, Calument, Travelite T Speedlight Bracket For Canon and Nikon Speedlight Flash Units: Camera & Photo

Yes, those will fit most any speedlight.

This is a little more than your stated budget but if you're going to do weddings the extra power will be helpful Mettle 600 Watt Photo Lighting Mono Master Strobe Lithium Battery Flash Light For Outdoor & Indoor

The Mettle's take a Bowens mount and are pretty robust so if you go with them get the flash adapter for a Bowens so that you can mix and match your modifiers.

BTW Cowboystudios is just a reseller, they don't make anything.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The speed rings are different. You ever think of a Brolly box?

I ordered a set once and Found it hard to insert the when it had a trigger attached to the bottom. The hole in the canter looked more geared towards a monolight being inserted than a speedlight. I could insert the flash all the way in, but then couldn't adjust the settings.

Think I could use a mount like this?

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Bowen, Calument, Travelite T Speedlight Bracket For Canon and Nikon Speedlight Flash Units: Camera & Photo

Yes, those will fit most any speedlight.

This is a little more than your stated budget but if you're going to do weddings the extra power will be helpful Mettle 600 Watt Photo Lighting Mono Master Strobe Lithium Battery Flash Light For Outdoor & Indoor

The Mettle's take a Bowens mount and are pretty robust so if you go with them get the flash adapter for a Bowens so that you can mix and match your modifiers.

BTW Cowboystudios is just a reseller, they don't make anything.

Good morning,

Thats not out of my budget considering it has the battery included.

And FWIW, you can get the same setup from Cowboystudio on Amazon for a little less :)

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Mettle600ADstrobe Dual Power AC/DC 110v Mettle 600W Flash, Professional Strobe Flash Light, with Rechargeable Battery Pack: Electronics

I really have been considering this unit. I guess the only thing thats stopped me is the battery being purpose specific. If I purchase a vagabond, I can power other things while camping or more than one flash. For that reason, the extra investment may pay off.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, for that matter you can get a pure sine wave inverter and anything from a gel cell to a boat battery and go as large or small as you like (BTW a boat battery will let you run three monolights with modeling lights on for about three hours, if you need more than that then just get another battery).

The only problem with something like a Vagabond or most battery packs is that you have a central location for your power.

With independent batteries you can lash them to the bottom of the light stand for extra stability -kids will be kids- plus you don't have to worry about people tripping over the cables.

It's up to you of course, you can find just about anything. There are almost as many people willing to sell you camera gear as there are photographers.

So, what are you wanting to do with these lights? Set up a couple of umbrellas for use on site at wedding and events? I've had good luck with speedlights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back