First Newborn Session! C&C Welcome and Encouraged!

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by jmtonkin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. PinkDoor

PinkDoor TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I agree with another poster about looking at your editing as a whole, and editing with consistency. The second image has too much red in the babies skin. But you did a great job with posing! First newborn shoots can be intimidating with nervous new mommies!

The last image, I would make black and white. The sheen of the brown blanket really throws me off, and I think a clean b/w conversion will transform this image.

2. mommy-medic

mommy-medic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    With babies it's substantially more flattering to shoot down the body instead of up the nose. In number one, imagine a string gong straight from your lens to the forehead, then tilt the camera slightly down the body and you'll get some better angles. Not bad for first try. Space heater do work well, (if you're roasting baby is comfy), white noise, swaddling (stretch wraps work well for that). If you can't get baby good and deep asleep after about 2 hours I wouldn't keep pushing them.

3. slow231

slow231 No longer a newbie, moving up!

the catch lights in 1 are bothersome. not only can i see the photographer but i looks like he is being lit by a bigscreen tv, a bunch of different colors and shapes in the lighting. 2 is nice. 3 i'm sure will go over well for most people, i personally don't like b+w, and it's a bit too hard for me as a baby shot. i do like the symmetry, but the tattoo (although relevant to the parents specifically) detracts from this. for the client i'd leave it in, but i'd PS it out if i were to put it in a portfolio.

4 misses the mark for me. I get the idea of framing with the couple but there are a few things working against the shot, focus, size, and lighting. pushing the couple further back would put them closer to the focal plane, make them less prominent in frame, and shroud less light from baby. also the football pacifier might have some significance to the couple, but generally branded/labeled/symbol-ed items detract from baby pictures, particularly for newborn shots.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. QobraKhan

QobraKhan TPF Noob!

Nice, I like the one on the due or what not, and the black one with he babies head pointed towards he camera those were my favorite