First Night Shots - C&C

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I fonaly got out the other day and took a few night shots. Two of my fav are below for you to C&C.

Both images are of the Granville St Bridge in Vancouver taken from Granville Island - taken from different positions. If you some of you wouldnt mind, let me know what you would do with the post processing wise, I'd apreciate your input!

First Image -
F/11
Shutter Speed - 30 Seconds
ISO 200
33mm

one.jpg

Second Image -
F/3.5
Exposure 2.5 Seconds
ISO 200
27mm

two.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if its just the angle that they're taken from but both images give me a tilted horizon feeling. The first one looks a bit messy light wise.

Because this is a night shot, I feel like it is a little over exposed. I did a few tweaks to get it a little darker and looking more like night without completely blowing away your nice shot. It's just an idea... something to think about.

OneRv.jpg

If you like the edit, what I did:
1 brought it into PS and duplicated and multiplied the layer.
2 reduced the opacity on the duplicate to about 60%
3 flattened the image and saved
4 brought the image into LR and increased black level to 5
5 reduced the orange saturation
6 deepened the shadows

I'm not sure if its just the angle that they're taken from but both images give me a tilted horizon feeling. The first one looks a bit messy light wise.

I got the same feeling,but when I went to straighten it, other buildings became off-plumb. It must be do to lens distortion.

Thanks for the details. When I looked at the images I got that feeling that yes, they are a bit tilted. When I set up my tripod, I had everything leveled off. Funny how that works. As for them being overexposed, the reason I chose these images is because I intreaged by the look of what I call "Twilight by nightlight".

Here is the first shot corrected to remove the tilt done in Lught Room

gsb.jpg

I really love the textures of the reflections on the water in the original of #2

I think you may have gone too far in the other direction on tilt.

For "first time shots" these are excellent. Really well done. I usually watch for this because I'm a night photography addict so I like to help when I can, but really... you nailed it.

The "light noise" comes from the night being hazy in this situation. Your exposure is spot-on.

-very- well done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back