First Off Camera Flash Attempt

90foxbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a "selfie" last night.

This was my first time using my Yongnuo flash off of my camera. Also my first attempt at any type of setup portrait.

I got tired of smiling throughout all the trial and error before I got an even remotely decent shot. So, I apologize in advance for the angry/aggravated facial expression, lol.

Shot with my Canon 6D, 50mm f1.8. Flash was camera left shooting through a white umbrella.

Let me know what you guys think and what I could've done better.

IMG_2513 by 90FoxBox, on Flickr

Not bad at all really; you've got a good exposure, good focus, and the lighting is nice. Out of curiosity how far away was the light and at what power level?

Not bad at all really; you've got a good exposure, good focus, and the lighting is nice. Out of curiosity how far away was the light and at what power level?

Thanks, I appreciate the positivity.

I was sitting on the floor, the flash was about 5-6ft high aimed downward. I don't exactly remember what power level the flash was at. I messed with it so much before I found something that worked.

If I had to guess it was around 1/4 or 1/8.

You might trying bringing the flash in closer (and reducing the power level appropriately of course); this will give you a better 'wrap'.

This looks quite good to me. Maybe also some way of reflecting/bouncing some light, (especially from below), onto your left side, like if you were seated closer to a wall on your left?

You might trying bringing the flash in closer (and reducing the power level appropriately of course); this will give you a better 'wrap'.

Thank you, I didn't know that's how that worked. I'll definitely give it a try.

This looks quite good to me. Maybe also some way of reflecting/bouncing some light, (especially from below), onto your left side, like if you were seated closer to a wall on your left?

I have a reflector I wanted to use for that exact reason. I couldn't find it last night though. Going to have to search the house today. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back