First (paid) family session.CnC on Christmas portraits

The 2nd one has a unique charm to it, but hands down the first is the winner. Great job.

@smoke665 Thanks so much for the encouragement!
Having the first shot let me prompt to dance for the second.

I really don't know much about portrait photography but I like the first one. As a parent I feel this photo might catch the personalities of the kids, a shy one and a daydreamer.
Exactly how I felt and why I would choose it over the other 25 photos from this shoot to lead with on this forum! Thanks @MSnowy

Ok last one, for now from this set!

Thanks for all the feedback and CC, I’ve learned a lot these last few years with you all.

Im ready for my next client.

Love joy.
OG
7518F7E3-7BA9-4989-AD7A-0B7C88FB6F65.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovely shot, but I'd back off the sharpness on the eyes just a tad, they seem over sharpened or maybe its the stark contrast to the softness of the rest of the image that makes them pop out at you.

Too little DoF in my view. There's VERY little that's actually in sharp focus; the right eye and a little bit down the right side of the torso. Just because you have a lens that opens to 1.4, 1.8 etc, doesn't mean you need to use it there. Enough DoF so that the whole face was in focus, IMO, is the minimum.

What I'm really appreciating about all these is the tonal range. You've managed to avoid clipping highlights or plugging shadows. The skin tones on all when looked at in LAB are right on target with A slightly positive and B just the right amount more positive. Looking at the neutrals such as the mother's sweater shows neutral in A and very slightly positive in B which lends just a smidge of warmth. Slightly warmer images are happier than cooler ones.
The TPF members with greater portrait experience can speak to the details more than can I, but you've excelled at the basics. I think your clients should be very pleased.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back