first photo shoot

g4rry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i bought my first dslr in oct.I joined my local club and they held a practical night and this is my results.This is my first ever time in the studio let me know what you think all your comments will be taken on board bad or good
DSC_4905.jpg
DSC_4902.jpg
DSC_4899.jpg
DSC_4901.jpg
DSC_4900.jpg
DSC_4897.jpg

Just a beginner but I'd have preferred a more gray background to contrast the gi and a little less brightness in the background. First shot, some reflected light from the subject's left to reduce the facial shadows. Third shot, not looking into the camera. 4th shot, open eyes.

Right. The background seems to be brighter than the model. This distracts the viewer from the focus of the photo, which is the person.

The background is badly lit also the model it to close to the background, how many lights did you have on the background ?

I agree that the model doesn't really stand out from the background considering it is better lit that the model but other than that I don't see anything wrong with them.

Was there any ambient light coming from windows ? if so 1/60 was not fast enough, if the room was blacked out and just modelling lights 1/60 is ok

The last one is the keeper, it is the best pose for the lighting sources...the rest of them just seem like the lighting was off in respect to the model's position to the lights...

thanks guys there was two lights on the back ground .I did not set up the lights as i just started photography they were set up by a club member .I only got the camera in oct and this was the middle of nov so i didnt have a clue what to do or what the lighting should be .i am going to get my own setup and can get more practice in the house

Sounds like a lot of fun...let us know when you get your setup going and how it works out for you...

For the first time, not bad at all. Studio lighting can get addicting so watch out! A couple questions: did you have the regular overhead lighting on along with your lighting set-up? If you turn off all the lights with the exception of your strobes, you'll change your background color and the lights aimed at the back could've had a nice effect. Given the theme, the seriousness of the person, and the pattern of the lights hitting your background you can get some really dramatic shadows. Did you use a light meter or use your histogram on your camera? I agree with gsgary. 1/60 not fast enough as it looks like you have some camera shake.

For the first time, not bad at all. Studio lighting can get addicting so watch out! A couple questions: did you have the regular overhead lighting on along with your lighting set-up? If you turn off all the lights with the exception of your strobes, you'll change your background color and the lights aimed at the back could've had a nice effect. Given the theme, the seriousness of the person, and the pattern of the lights hitting your background you can get some really dramatic shadows. Did you use a light meter or use your histogram on your camera? I agree with gsgary. 1/60 not fast enough as it looks like you have some camera shake.

If there's no ambient shutter speed does not matter because the flash duration acts as your shutter speed, add ambient and it is a different matter
I would have shot this with no light on the background, i think harsh shadows would work so i would have a high density reflector at about 45 and high large white board to bounce flash back and if your subject was moving an umbralla for backlight/hair light opposite main light

if you want the truth dont have a clue i went to the club and it was all setup so i dont know what they done .all the main lights in the room were off and i heard a badly lit white background will turn out grey as i can see in some of the pics .this is why i would like my own lights as they only have a practical night twice a year and as i have two daughters age 8 and 9 i wont be short of models they love in front of the camera .think im going for the elinchrom d-lite 4set up

Most reactions

New Topics

Back