First Photos with New 1000D aka Rebel XS

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, first weekend with new camera. I have a lot to practice with now that I have a camera that will let me adjust everything I would need to. I should get better using this camera like I did with the Powershot, lets see if it takes as long. Here are four photos I liked the best:

Out on my buddy's pontoon
PontooningSmall.jpg

A crabapple tree outside my apartment
Crabapple.jpg

Some mushrooms at my mom's house
Shrooms.jpg

#4 Help!
My buddy writing with his lighter in a 30-second exposure
Help.jpg

Dude was able to spell backwards in the dark and pretty much had the spacing down dead on...and I actually had it in focus...I had him light his lighter first, focused in on it and had him just stay in that position as he wrote...

I really like being able to manually controls things on the camera. I also purchased a circular polarizer and really like having that option as well...

Ok, here are my thoughts:

#1-I'm not really sure what the subject of this photo is. What drew you to this photo?

#2-I like the use of shallow DOF in this one.

#3-If the subject is the mushrooms, none of them is completely in focus. I think you may have focused on the leaf next to the front mushroom instead.

#4-It's an interesting experiment, but I'm not really sure how to comment on it as a photograph.

Welcome to the world of the DSLR.

The white balance seems off in the first 3. Canon seems to have a weakness in this area. It is easily corrected with Canons Digital Photo Professional, or through Photoshop, Elements, or Gimp.

Come to think of it...I don't remember doing anything with the wb...if I had been paying attention, I would have done something about...I think I may start shooting in raw...

#1 - I agree about the subject, the rails are in the way if you're looking at the waves get closer and rest the camera on that rail (have the strap around your neck...) or get lower to the floor and shoot with the lens under the rail to get more dept to the water slashing up (other than directly under the right rail near the motor the waves look kinda flat).

#2 - I like this shot, maybe cropped a bit tighter with less space bottom-left.

#3 - Agree on the focus, seems like it was missed.. that blade of grass in front of the rear shroom looks like it got the camera's autofocus

#4 - Nifty :D. if he could have done it a few feet higher or you had shot it form a lower angle it would've looked more like it was written in the sky; the bush/tree behind it hinders that here. really fun though, i want to try this sometime :D

grats on the DSRL and enjoy all the things you'll learn soon, i had so much fun putting information i saw here / elsewhere to use!

keep the posts coming :)

FYI: All these photos were taken using everything manual (finally have the chance)...so it wasn't autofocus that missed, it was my eye...

The only time I switch to autofocus is after I focus manually so I don't lost focus as I turn my polarizer then I switch back to manual focus to take the shot so it doesn't try to focus in on something else...

FYI: All these photos were taken using everything manual (finally have the chance)...so it wasn't autofocus that missed, it was my eye...

The only time I switch to autofocus is after I focus manually so I don't lost focus as I turn my polarizer then I switch back to manual focus to take the shot so it doesn't try to focus in on something else...

As good as my eyes are, I still have trouble focusing on a crop-frame camera. Even though using full manual controls all the time can be fun and empowering, you have to remember; autofocus can be your friend especially on cropped bodies.

I recommend using back button focus, so that you can focus on your subject (you can usually just set your AF point to the center one and use that to focus). That way you can selectively focus, and then recompose on the fly without switching the focus by pressing the shutter halfway.

I'd look through your custom functions to see if it's in there, as I've never used an XS.

I really like the last one! Your friend is amazing to be able to write backwards with perfect spacing, I've tried this sort of thing several times (using a flashlight) and was never able to get a shot worth saving. I think the crab apple shot is my next favorite. I don't much care for the other two. On #1 there doesn't seem to be any real "star" and the mushrooms are too out of focus for my taste.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back