First Photo's

SuperKona

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So howdy guys, I got my Nikon D60 yesterday. Before that I have only had a really really bad HP point and shoot. Took these shots today. Still trying to learn everything about the camera.

This is all on my property. Any C+C is welcomed, Thanks.

3363595163_a4e15fb386_b.jpg

l

3363573137_522844025f_b.jpg

l

l
3363570405_45341d3184_b.jpg

3364386606_825a248ae9_b.jpg

l

Wow, these are awesome, especially for some of your first shots! i love #2!!

Looks like the D60 is working fine. What lens are you using for these shots? Do you have the shot information (exif)?

The color looks a little too saturated in the first shot.

The second shot is not bad...not a fan of sun flare from behind tree type shots.

The third and fourth shots are nice...you're getting good focus and the DOF is pretty shallow (especially if you're using the kit lens). Colors are nice.

Your exposures look very good in the first, third and fourth shots. Hard to tell in the second shot.

Looks like the D60 is working fine. What lens are you using for these shots? Do you have the shot information (exif)?

The color looks a little too saturated in the first shot.

The second shot is not bad...not a fan of sun flare from behind tree type shots.

The third and fourth shots are nice...you're getting good focus and the DOF is pretty shallow (especially if you're using the kit lens). Colors are nice.

Your exposures look very good in the first, third and fourth shots. Hard to tell in the second shot.

I used the Nikkor 55-200mm on all these.

Im not sure what you mean by "Too saturated". Im still trying to learn the lingo. Im guessing the colors?

And im not sure about any shot info.I did have it in manual mode. Is it too late to find this stuff? Is that called exif?

Thanks for the C+C and compliments.

Nice photos! I just got the D60 a couple weeks ago and I really love having the control of a DSLR versus a P&S. You can find the EXIF data for the photos by right clicking on them, properties, and details (on windows anyways). This will only work for the photos on your computer. I know there are ways to find the EXIF data of web photos but I'm not sure of that process. Keep up the good shots!

Congratulations to your new camera. Did you get yourself a post processing programme along with it? Maybe the one that came with the CD that accompanied the camera in the box? That would be a start. You'll find that many people here use Photoshop for their pp-work, or The Gimp, which apparently is free and downloadable.

These are nicely done, you're apparently enjoying the shallow DOF (depth of field) you can acquire by using a wide open aperture, and it sets your subject well off the backgrounds. Good for flower photography, for example.

You say your photos are OK to edit, and at least the first three shouted at me "Please edit us", so I listened ;). I hope you don't mind.

For in the case of your dog's photo, I feel the colour balance is not quite right (I don't necessarily feel it is over-saturated, like Sam does, but it is too "cool" with regards to colour temperatures -> too much blue in there). And it slants to the right somewhat, as you can see in the ripples on the water. So I adjusted all that.
I tried to get his face more out of the centre, but nothing I tried worked, so I left things at that:

SuperKona_3363595163_a4e15fb386_b_m.jpg

The second photo was a keen attempt, but it failed, I should say. You best not photograph this directly into the sun (including it into your frame like you did), least of all when it is still that high up in the sky and that bright. It may for once damage your eyes, it may not be good for the sensor, and the outcome is certainly not guaranteed to be good. Backlit plants are a wonderful sight, but you best leave the sun out of it (unless it is very, very low, shortly before setting or shortly after rising, and unless you use a very small aperture, which might lead to your having to use a surprisingly long shutter speed...).

I thought that maybe the lefthand side of the photo could be cut off and rescued, but I don't think I did rescue it...

SuperKona_3363573137_522844025f_b_m.jpg

Now the third looks a bit pale, and I already thought the histogramme (that's the little mountain you can see) would show very little "elevation" on the left, i.e. the "shadows" side. Which it didn't.

SuperKona_3363570405_45341d3184_bjp.jpg

So I simply upped the shadows a tad, and lowered the midtones a smidge, and there you are (same pic as the one immediately above, without the histogramme added):

SuperKona_3363570405_45341d3184_b_m.jpg

I did wonder about how composition could be made a little better in post, but did not come up with anything really good ... though as it is, this photo is a bit unbalanced with everything going on on the right (there is your subject and your focus, and it's good that it is not smack in the middle!!!), but it feels too strong on the right.
If maybe a BEE had come to your aid, but it didn't... sigh ;).

Spring is a lot farther advanced where you are than it is here.....!

Nice photos! I just got the D60 a couple weeks ago and I really love having the control of a DSLR versus a P&S. You can find the EXIF data for the photos by right clicking on them, properties, and details (on windows anyways). This will only work for the photos on your computer. I know there are ways to find the EXIF data of web photos but I'm not sure of that process. Keep up the good shots!

Oh ok, I see how to get it. Ill list stuff that I think is what people are wanting to know. Tell me if there is something else.

1. The Dog in the Pond shot.

Camera - Nikon D60
Focal Length - 95mm
F Number - F/4.8
Exposure Time - 1/50
ISO Speed - ISO-400

2. Sun behind Tree.

Camera - Nikon D60
Focal Length - 200mm
F Number - F/5.6
Exposure Time - 1/250
ISO Speed - ISO-400

3. Flower in the Sky.

Camera - Nikon D60
Focal Length - 185mm
F Number - F/5.6
Exposure Time - 1/400
ISO Speed - ISO-400

4. Flower next to a soon to be bloomer.

Camera - Nikon D60
Focal Length - 48mm
F Number - F/5.6
Exposure Time - 1/400
ISO Speed - ISO-400

Anything else guys? Thanks for any C+C. And about looking at the sun, ill prolly will try to avoid that. I did think about that after the shot. :blushing:

Most reactions

Back