First pic for CC if I dare

Flyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's my first post of any pics. I think I'm ready for this. :blushing:

I saw a thread a couple of days ago that had some pics of a couple of drag cars. I saw one in there that I thought looked a little familiar. So ... I decided to finally do something rather than lurk around more.

At any rate ... here's a couple.

These were all shot on a bad overcast day, very dull and boring bland sky (as you can see). I was having as much fun taking pics as I was watching the race, maybe more.

D5000
55-200 f/3.5-5.6

2010 09 26_2321.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

2. (tighter crop to show detail Flickr downsizing takes out)

2010 09 26_2321.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

3. I was watching them get ready to test fire the car after rebuilding. He very slowly and slyly looked my way, kinda startled me with the stone cold stare, none the less, I thought it came out good.

2010 09 26_2634.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

4.I really like the shot on this one.

2010 09 26_2568.jpg by TX Flyer, on Flickr

I really like #3. The expression is great IMO. I think if you cloned out the blue line would be a big help! It's a bit distracting. Great shot none the less.

The first two don't do much for me, there is so much stuff going on it's hard for the eye to focus on one thing. The second two, however, are really interesting. I live the guy's expression in the third photo, and the heat from the cars in the fourth shot almost creates a DoF-like effect, isolating the cars from the busy background. Nice work! The white balance seems to be a bit cool in some of the photos, but that's nothing that can't be fixed quickly.

The first 2 are the same shot .. It's hard to get the detail in them from Flickr. The gist of the pic is the light has turned green, butterflies are open on the blowers, tires wrinkled, chassis flexed, front left wheel raised, and little to no movement (both stage lights are still lit). The staging lights are the first 2 lights on the tree.

Of all the times looking at #3, I have not once noticed the line. I don't know my way around PS very well at all, if anyone like to link to a tutorial, I'd really like to educate myself.

I agree with all the above comments. In #3 the guys different colored eyes kinda bug me out, but that's just me lol. #4 is definitely your best shot, if it weren't for that annoying guy blocking part of the other car, and his motorcycle it would be damn near perfect.

As for getting rid of the line, I would use a combination of the clone stamp tool, the patch tool, and possibly the healing brush tool. If you want to educate yourself in PS, just google it, there are tons of tutorials out there. Start by researching these tools and learn how to use them.

#3 is a win, the no BS look combined with the two dif color eyes is a total win.

I wouldn't try cloning the line, you'll probably just end up with a mess. It's unfortunate that it was there but that's how you learn to improve. Next time you'll look for things like that, or you'll have another potentially good image harmed by it. You could probably grab the unique blue color with "color select" and desaturate it and darken it to make it less image-dividing.

You mentioned the sky is bland, but this worked in your favor I believe. The colors are really vivid and the shadows are very well controlled.

#3 Nice shot, you got something there. As far as things looking dreary, you can warm them up in post. Set your white balance for cloudy if it is cloudy out. I actually prefer shooting outside on overcast days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back