First pic post

good shots ken, i think your processing is fine.... looking forward to more :thumbup:

i like the other shot you posted too, the SC on the railcar makes for an interesting shot, it looks desaturated too... makes for a nice effect... can't wait to see more... :thumbup:

Great images Ken. They remind me of a postcard. NIcely done.

Really great shot and I love the poster feeling border.

Is a lead mine really named "killhope"? Seems ironic considering the poisonous attributes of lead. I imagine the old time lead miners had some problems.

I think you are another master and there is no area to improve.
the sky the railway the house...all texture is so..so good
I love these pics!

Thanks again for the further comments.
drdan said:
Is a lead mine really named "killhope"? Seems ironic considering the poisonous attributes of lead. I imagine the old time lead miners had some problems.
I hear what you are saying! "Killhope" is the village in which the mine takes it's name from but pronounced "Killop". Actually the lead was the least of there problems with very few or maybe even no deaths related to lead poisoning (obviously I wasn't paying that much attention). In fact, the dust from the rocks along with working in 3 feet of water (in places) were the biggest killers!....UNTIL they started using explosives!.....They used steel rods which were hammered into the rock to create a hole for the powder......THEN they'd use another thinner steel rod to pack the powder into a hole, not hard to figure steel against the rock would create sparks. Apparently one guy packing the powder in the hole had the thin steel rod blown out and upward under his jaw up into his mouth, entering his brain and exiting the top of his skull......At that time brain surgery was a little tricky, so they just cut the top and bottom off this steel rod so it didn't protrude....he lived a normal life (apparently) for another four years until he died from a chest infection!

Those that lived local could easily walk home after there shift but, those that lived a little further a field would spend the week there, especially during the winter months. There is one room which they shared, sleeping four to a bed...there was four bunk beds...32 people to one small room, which was also furnished with a table to eat from.

These guys were payed by the weight of there weeks work and could rent shovells from there employer but were deducted from there weekly pay IF the shovell had lost weight???? so any wear would cost them. They also had to pay joiners to errect timbers for support in places but mainly platforms, enabling the miner to get higher.
Incredible really.

Hope you don't mind but just because of the interest here's a couple more.

The office.
139mb.jpg

The mine entrance.
1filtered9ur.jpg

Thanks again for all your comments.
Ken.

Wonderful images. After looking at the first one, my thoughts were, I wonder what this would look like in black and white? But I prefer the color photograph myself. Great captures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back