First picture ever taken at f32..

So no word from the op on how he was able to get to f/32 with that lens?

Two guesses:
1. Using a TC where the TC reports the aperture change, but not the focal length change.
2. EXIF editing software and we're being trolled.

Hey guys! So I read all of the responses and I went and pulled out my camera... It goes up to f.32 just as I posted...

I had no idea that the f-stop could be limited by the lens, as I posted I have never taken a picture at f.32 before, or quite frankly past f.22. I just did it as I stated.

So... Did I really take the picture at f.32 as I set the aperture on the camera to, or did the lens only stop down to f.22 and that is what I took?

..... so apparently it depends on the camera as to whether it will go above F/22 or not.........

That's a new one. A lens goes to f/22 on one body, and f/32 on another.

Anyone want to buy a bridge I've got for sale in Brooklyn?

I made a group reply to the thread. Maybe you can help. Thanks.

Hey guys! So I read all of the responses and I went and pulled out my camera... It goes up to f.32 just as I posted...

I had no idea that the f-stop could be limited by the lens, as I posted I have never taken a picture at f.32 before, or quite frankly past f.22. I just did it as I stated.

So... Did I really take the picture at f.32 as I set the aperture on the camera to, or did the lens only stop down to f.22 and that is what I took?

The lens is listed by Nikon as having a minimum aperture of f/22. That's the smallest setting on the lens is f/22. I can't think of any way you can dial it down to F/22 and there's a magic setting that makes it f/32. If the camera recorded f/32, then there's something wrong.

It's a puzzle for sure. To be technically accurate, the aperture is the part that is limiting the aperture, and since they are (AFAIK) always inside the lens, there could be (in theory) an aperture in the camera body completely apart from the lens, but I've never heard of anything like that.

When you set your camera to that aperture, where are you reading the number? Is this number in the top display or in the viewfinder?

Just a wild guess here, but maybe your camera readout is faulty. Somebody with camera repair experience might be able to figure it out.

It's a puzzle for sure. To be technically accurate, the aperture is the part that is limiting the aperture, and since they are (AFAIK) always inside the lens, there could be (in theory) an aperture in the camera body completely apart from the lens, but I've never heard of anything like that.

When you set your camera to that aperture, where are you reading the number? Is this number in the top display or in the viewfinder?

Just a wild guess here, but maybe your camera readout is faulty. Somebody with camera repair experience might be able to figure it out.

The EXIF says it's f/32.

aliens1-5ad5062f3037130037462d1c.jpg

DP, that pic came out pretty good! Maybe it's fudging a bit but lets make you a member of the f64 club!!!
Don't forget it might be easier to use Focus Stacking. You could use more normal settings and faster speeds and still shoot at iso 100.
SS

You can see the f.32 both in the view finder and on top of the camera.

From another forum:
slowhands
Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470
ALL can be altered
Jul 1, 2012
A digital image file is just a collection of bits/bytes with a container (filename).

The internal structure is meaningful only to programs who abide by and agree to some defined structure. Other programs may interpret the content differently, may allow manipulation of the content totally without regard to the conventions/structures used by other programs.

A "Binary Editor" can manipulate any contents of any file - though the operator generally needs intimate knowledge / documentation of the target file's defined structure to make intended changes as opposed to just mucking up the bits.

There are also programs which specifically are designed to understand and support manipulation of EXIF data, including date information.

Back in the FILM days, image content could be manipulated in the darkroom..not much different today.

disclaimer - I am not a lawyer nor a vetted expert witness on the topic, however, I do stand behind my points above, and have been convincing in court.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back