First Pictures for C&C

marie1128

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$1273741_10151771835704495_1067234390_o.jpg$1292977_10151766536814495_293279049_o.jpg

The first picture is of my son, and a leaf "1". I took it about 330pm, so the lighting isn't great. He was also super crabby. Plan to redo it tomorrow morning. EDIT: This picture wasn't edited at all yet, so I'm just wanting c&c on positioning, lighting, etc., not so much editing, but I'll take opinions on that too :)

The second picture is also my son, eating his birthday cake. It was edited with GIMP.

Please critique! :)

C&C per req:

1. I like the idea here, but as you note, the lighting isn't ideal. I would definitely try this again,a nd if you have something that you could use as a large scrim, it might help as well especially if will prevent him from squinting.

2. Ahhh... you've discovered selective colour. You've had your turn. Now, just forget all about it and leave us never speak of this again.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

2. Ahhh... you've discovered selective colour. You've had your turn. Now, just forget all about it and leave us never speak of this again.

Yeah, was wondering how many people would be annoyed. :p

It's a tool that I've seen used very well maybe twice, and used very poorly more times than I can count lol. The part that I'm not a huge fan of with the second picture is how blue highlights show up elsewhere in the picture besides just the frosting, which distracts from the emphasis that the selective color would be placing on his face. I like the first one, but as you've noted the lighting could be better. In this situation I just tend to try to play around with the angle I'm shooting the picture at until I find something I like. Personally I would have tried to get the two long shadows (top right and bottom left) out of the frame.

agree with everything tirediron said.

I just had to quote this :lol: You've made me smile early in the morning. Thanks!

It's a tool that I've seen used very well maybe twice, and used very poorly more times than I can count lol. The part that I'm not a huge fan of with the second picture is how blue highlights show up elsewhere in the picture besides just the frosting, which distracts from the emphasis that the selective color would be placing on his face. I like the first one, but as you've noted the lighting could be better. In this situation I just tend to try to play around with the angle I'm shooting the picture at until I find something I like. Personally I would have tried to get the two long shadows (top right and bottom left) out of the frame.

Thank you! I'm going to redo the leaf picture one more time (I redid it already; it came out okay).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back