First Pictures from My New Camera

mdith4him

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello :) I'd love to receive some C&C on the below photos. I'm trying to work right now on getting the exposure right and learning how ISO, aperture, and shutter speed all work together. I know these aren't the most interesting subjects you've ever seen and there are probably composition problems, but I'm trying to get good in one area at a time! Otherwise, I'll probably just overwhelm myself and get frustrated, haha! So any advice you have for my exposure would be most appreciated. Anyway, here they are:

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Hello :) I'd love to receive some C&C on the below photos. I'm trying to work right now on getting the exposure right and learning how ISO, aperture, and shutter speed all work together. I know these aren't the most interesting subjects you've ever seen and there are probably composition problems, but I'm trying to get good in one area at a time!

I think that's a really good idea. I've done the same. For months I took pictures of all the usual, mundane stuff with my DSLR. Less concerned about composition, I explored exposure, different types of metering and creative use of over- and underexposure. I explored DOF, selective focus and just plain ol' sharp focus. As I gained a better understanding of exposure I've moved on to study of the Zone System and it's application in my own B&W film photography. Much of my recent work has been more about natural lighting "problems" and interprative exposure.

Once I had a good grasp of the basics I put much more thought into composition. The subjects were often the mundane (read boring) but they were learning exercises and not much more.

I have found this approach to work really well. I understand my cameras, both the DSLR and the film, very well and can take really good snapshots for family occasions, etc. My more recent focus has become fine art B&W and I'm finding that a good grasp of the technical has allowed me to concentrate on the creative.

Sorry for the diversion but I wanted to offer my own affirmation for your approach to photography.

My take on your photos:

#1- I suppose it depends on your intent for the image but I think the exposure is pretty good, if only slightly underexposed. Without knowing the paper's literal "whiteness" it looks a little gray. The sunlit window isn't blown out and you can still see some detail. Depending on your intent that may not be a good thing. Slightly more exposure could brighten the window and wash out the detail while making the paper brighter. Like I said, it depends on your visualization for the image. Of course you can always burn/dodge to your liking in PP or the darkroom.

#2- On my monitor the colors appear flat and the snow is on the gray side. Perhaps expose a tad more? Also appears soft around the eyes. It's hard to tell but it looks like the focus is on the rim of the glasses.

Keep at it.

Exposure is good in both.

You were able to keep the highlights from being blown out.

Both shots are soft, first is due to shutter speed, second shot why did you use ISO 400 when your shutter speed was 1/2000 could have been at iso100

I'm trying to work right now on getting the exposure right...

I know these aren't the most interesting subjects you've ever seen and there are probably composition problems, but I'm trying to get good in one area at a time!

So any advice you have for my exposure would be most appreciated.

In case anyone missed what the OP was asking for.

I honestly feel like your exposure on these two photographs is pretty dead on. It looks just like I would have been there, how I imagine it at least. I would probably lean towards sooner's advice of maybe a bit more exposure.

This is a cool way to learn everything and get familiar with the camera. Smart!

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

In terms of the focus of the photos, is it better to use autofocus or manual? Or does it depend on the situation? I was using AF for both of these.

@gary: Honestly, the reason I was on ISO 400 is a mystery to me, too! I know I should try to use 100 whenever possible. It might have been on auto ISO...? I can't remember. I was trying to get that shot as fast as I could because there were still some flurries coming down and I didn't want snow getting all over my camera! I remember adjusting the aperture and shutter speed, then clicking.

Snow reminds me of another question I have: is it really a good idea to take a camera out into still-falling snow? When I went out it was flurries (not a heavy snow) and I tried to keep the camera covered with my jacket as much as possible. How much wet is okay? Or should any be avoided at all costs?

Thanks again everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back