First Portrait Session (x10)

Just regarding your colour what mode do you shoot in, if you shoot in RAW what colour space to you edit them out to be and finally what do you use to upload to the web? (Rule of thumb is sRGB is best for web-use)

It would really help if we could see an image SOOC (no retouching at all other then maybe an exposure bump if you shoot in RAW), then you might see some people's edits and see if they are way to cool on your screen - if so, I would say tha tyou need to recalibrate.

Yeah, Nate, I'm just trying to learn and gain experience. And I'm not sure there's ever a point where I should ever lose that attitude; because there's always, always room to improve.

And Peanuts, good call, here's Three straight out of camera:
_DSC4027.jpg

Like others said, I'm seeing a lot of orange in these. The blur is too heavy at times. The green is nearly flourescent in some (*8 for example) . The SOOC camera is good, you can see little color cast, only underexposure, easily fixed in PP.

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go through them all and re-process them, using a lot less processing actually. I mean, I can keep a few of them with my overlay gaussian processing, but overall, I should probably keep things pretty clean when it comes to client work.

Thanks everyone for the comments, critiques, and help!

I'll get this sooner or later!

Hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the trial version of LR2 a few days ago. Thought I'd have a go. This took about three minutes and I'm just learning.

Original
tr.jpg

LR Edit
tr-1.jpg

I'll remove if you wish.

[EDIT] I guess I served up a cold fish. :(

Last edited:
ok, that was really interesting. When I downloaded the photo you took it looks different than the photo as it showed up on the website. I'm not sure why that is, probably how the profile you are using is transferring over to the web.

ok, that was really interesting. When I downloaded the photo you took it looks different than the photo as it showed up on the website. I'm not sure why that is, probably how the profile you are using is transferring over to the web.

See, I told you, haha.

And I think it's because I have been saving in ProPhoto RGB color instead of sRGB. Oops.

Nate, did it look better or worse when you downloaded it?

Okay, here's what I did

#1 - I went under Image . . . adjustments . . . and levels. To brighten up the colors and increase contrast.

#2 - Used the airbrush tool with opacity set to 10% to ever so slightly even his skin tone out without losing freckles and what not.

#3 - used a curves adjustment layer and set the mode to screen. Inversed this and with the brush tool, set to 20% opacity, painted the whites of his eyes brighter.

#4 - upon doing the brightening, I noticed that it made the eyes quite red. So I used a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and using the pull down menu selected "red" and pulled out ALL the red using the saturation slider, and then increased the lightness. Again, inversed the layer and with 40% opacity on my brush painted his eyes back to a more normal color.

#5 - under the image . . . adjustments . . . hue/saturation, I pulled the saturation slider down by -4 and pulled the hue up by +2. This decreased the reds in the photos.

#6 - increased the contrast by 12 and increased the brightness by 8.

Sometimes less is more in my opinion.

Here is what I got:
2760891151_f7f8eebb59.jpg

now that I've posted this, it doesn't look anything like what my screen was showing me in PS . . . hmmm. My colors were more vibrant, less green, less FLAT than they are showing up now.

Last edited:
I think he was right that there was something wrong with the color's... because when I downloaded his photo it looked much better than the one on the web. Maybe it's the fault of the nikon RGB or something I'm not sure. But when I convert it to the other it looks normal again.

Okay, here's what I did

#1 - I went under Image . . . adjustments . . . and levels. To brighten up the colors and increase contrast.

#2 - Used the airbrush tool with opacity set to 10% to ever so slightly even his skin tone out without losing freckles and what not.

#3 - used a curves adjustment layer and set the mode to screen. Inversed this and with the brush tool, set to 20% opacity, painted the whites of his eyes brighter.

#4 - upon doing the brightening, I noticed that it made the eyes quite red. So I used a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and using the pull down menu selected "red" and pulled out ALL the red using the saturation slider, and then increased the lightness. Again, inversed the layer and with 40% opacity on my brush painted his eyes back to a more normal color.

#5 - under the image . . . adjustments . . . hue/saturation, I pulled the saturation slider down by -4 and pulled the hue up by +2. This decreased the reds in the photos.

#6 - increased the contrast by 12 and increased the brightness by 8.

Sometimes less is more in my opinion.

Here is what I got:
2760891151_f7f8eebb59.jpg

now that I've posted this, it doesn't look anything like what my screen was showing me in PS . . . hmmm. My colors were more vibrant, less green, less FLAT than they are showing up now.

I did the same thing. In PS, he looks like a fresh-dewy faced kid, when I upload it to the web, he looks gaunt, and dead. I tried photobucket and flickr. Odd...

I haven't read through all the posts, but many of them. I was just wondering if you've printed out proofs and if so, how do they look printed? Because isn't that really what is most important for the client?

I did the same thing. In PS, he looks like a fresh-dewy faced kid, when I upload it to the web, he looks gaunt, and dead. I tried photobucket and flickr. Odd...

Need to make sure its in sRGB before you upload to the net.

Besides the mentioned skin tone issue I would say the holding up the tree pose is one of the worst inventions ever. Why did you choose it?

Love & Bass

Quite the overstatement.

But that aside, I chose the pose because I uhh, don't think it's one of the worst inventions ever.

Most reactions

Back