What's new

First post and first time doing HDR

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter ch3360
  • Start date Start date
C

ch3360

Guest
Removed pending some edting
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First off, most people on these forums wont provide CC on threads with more than 4 images.
Second, try to provide us some of your own thoughts on the images. What were you going for? What do you think?

Personally, I think the images are incredibly over-cooked. You can see signs of this in your fourth image with the halos around the trees, that generally is not considered a good thing. HDR doesn't just mean pulling those sliders all the way to the right. That said, I do like the HDR qualities of the second and third images, though there is still some haloing going on. I don't particularly like the framing of either, but the style of HDR almost makes the images appear more like paintings and less than photos, something I think works well with trains. With landscapes, however, it just appears quite over-processed.
 
From a straight graphical standpoint, they have some interest. From a photographic standpoint they are way overdone. HDR can produce some interesting effects but from my experience it is far more useful in photography for extending the dynamic range of an image, i.e. opening up detail in shadow areas and retaining detail in bright highlights that the somewhat limited range of digital photography cannot capture without help..

These images look extremely "posterized" to me to be perfectly honest.
 
Way overdone - way, way overdone. To me this is a good example of how not to do HDR. I will say one thing though, they remind me a lot of pastel chalk images and not photographic images.

_____________________
WesternGuy
 
Thanks all.... Constructive criticism is always good. Again first try at this and I appreciate the feedback.

My personal favorite is #3 looking down the platform alongside the passenger cars of the train...... Honestly, I like the "pastel chalk illustration" look of the others. To me it's amazing you can do this with a camera / software.

These were actually all done using the presets in Photomatix.... I'll go back in and manually play around with them in the future. As with anything I hope to improve with time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to produce HDR images like this, you're better off posting your work in the HDR forums where they explore all facets of HDR imaging.
 
If you want to produce HDR images like this, you're better off posting your work in the HDR forums where they explore all facets of HDR imaging.

Thanks, I'm using the app on my iPhone for the forum and didn't see there was a specific HDR section..... But I found it now. Much appreciated
 
I liked the fourth image... the rest... i too agree with all others...they look pastel..they look like play book images....when i saw the top two images, i could not even believe those were originated from a photograph..but since you mentioned that was your intention, they are OK ;) .... can i request you to show the originals?

Regards :D
 
I liked the fourth image... the rest... i too agree with all others...they look pastel..they look like play book images....when i saw the top two images, i could not even believe those were originated from a photograph..but since you mentioned that was your intention, they are OK ;) .... can i request you to show the originals?

Regards :D

I'm at work tonight and will post them tomorrow when I'm on the computer. Being new at this I primarily used 2 presets in Photomatix.... I believe they are named Painterly and Grunge.

I had to look up what "cooked" and a few other comments meant. However I look at them and find them interesting. Knowing the images came from a camera and were made to look like drawings, sketches, etc.... Guess my eyes are just less discriminating
 
Removed for some editing
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear ch3360.... i have a request; please don't remove the images once somebody has commented upon them (unless they are scandalous or hurtful or dangerous ;) ); this i say because every thread must have some thing to learn from...we mostly learn from mistakes no?

You can post them in chronology :D

Regards :D
 
Dear ch3360.... i have a request; please don't remove the images once somebody has commented upon them (unless they are scandalous or hurtful or dangerous ;) ); this i say because every thread must have some thing to learn from...we mostly learn from mistakes no?

You can post them in chronology :D

Regards :D

Deleted
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Why does almost every untrained NOOB have to go through an OVERPROCESSED HDR period? Unfortunately some of them never seem to outgrow it, using the old excuse that "art" is subjective! Almost as bad as the multitude of MWAC's and their incessant stream of bad photos that they charge for....
 
Charlie, seems to me is that it's just a natural extension of being able to manipulate their images for the 1st time, something that they most likely could never do before. Those rich, unnatural colors just jump right off their screens, and for some reason they seem to feel that they've found the ultimate secret that will get them post after post praising their efforts both with the camera and their editing programs. Hopefully, one day real soon, they'll figure out that HDR imaging for the vast majority of us is a tool to help us digitally reproduce a scene without blown out highlights.
 
Charlie, seems to me is that it's just a natural extension of being able to manipulate their images for the 1st time, something that they most likely could never do before. Those rich, unnatural colors just jump right off their screens, and for some reason they seem to feel that they've found the ultimate secret that will get them post after post praising their efforts both with the camera and their editing programs. Hopefully, one day real soon, they'll figure out that HDR imaging for the vast majority of us is a tool to help us digitally reproduce a scene without blown out highlights.

Yea.. I guess your are right, Joel! It is funny that some never outgrow it.. but hey "BAD" art is still art, right? ;) (or is it?)!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom