First post. Bmx photos.

Bunn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i searched every thread in this forum that seemed fitting for me to make my first post, and i know there was an introduction thread, but since i mostly shoot action sports i figured why not here. i used to be a member of another forum a few years back, but that forum is petty much a ghost town now a days.

Went out with a couple of my buddies the other day to a local college to shoot some photos and film for an upcoming video. We were able to get these two photos before getting kicked out by security.

$14926329216_44e6938d85_z.jpg
he took a few falls to get this trick.
i am pretty happy with this photo for the most part, but the sky was blown to bits, and wearing a white shirt didn't help any. im not the type to edit in a fake sky.

$14762647550_f924cb01db_z.jpg
i really wish i had some more powerful flashes for this shot, the background was fully covered by the sun,but the rider and foreground was in the shadow of a building behind me, witch is an ideal situation for shooting with flash in the daytime, but in this case even with 4 flashes close out of frame, to properly expose the background and light the rider, i feel like i needed more flash power. hoping to purchase an einstein with in the next couple of months.

what am i hoping to accomplish on this forum?
i guess im just looking for some constructive criticism on shooting flashes with action sports in the sun(motion blur and whatnot), and just any criticism in general. really hoping to improve my photography with help from this forum, and to help others where i can.

I think both shots a great. A few nitpicks

The first (is that an over smith or regular?), first has too much of the wall on the left showing.

The second is great but I think I would have had everything shifted to the left. The building in the background is distracting and adds nothing to the picture.

You have the right framing showing the entire obstacle and setting. Lots of folks on here who have never ridden or skated always go for the tight shots.

The first (is that an over smith or regular?), first has too much of the wall on the left showing.

The second is great but I think I would have had everything shifted to the left. The building in the background is distracting and adds nothing to the picture.

You have the right framing showing the entire obstacle and setting. Lots of folks on here who have never ridden or skated always go for the tight shots.

Thanks, i ride bmx myself, in the first photo that is an oversmith.

and as for the building, this was in the campus quad, and the grass to my left was filled with students, witch might of looked a little better then the building, but i hate lurkers in my shots haha

and as for the building, this was in the campus quad, and the grass to my left was filled with students, witch might of looked a little better then the building, but i hate lurkers in my shots haha

Yeah I used to ride back in the day. I won't say which day but lets just say I had a 44t sprocket.

You can always photoshop out people.

How are you triggering your flashes?

Yeah I used to ride back in the day. I won't say which day but lets just say I had a 44t sprocket.

haha 44t! also if you look closely at the right of that tree you might be able to notice my ****ty clone job, i had two girls standing there watching that had to go.

triggered with cactus v5

44 16 hipster.

.. even with 4 flashes close out of frame... i feel like i needed more flash power.

Are you sure all four are firing?

.. even with 4 flashes close out of frame... i feel like i needed more flash power.

Are you sure all four are firing?

Yeah, if you look closely at the back tire theres a good bit ive motion blur, ive shot bmx with studio strobes in direct sunlight and it just freezes the action so much better, ive been shooting with small flashes for years now, i just think buying a couple einstein 640's will be my next move.

So how does it work with street shots and setting up lights? Seems like it's asking for trouble.

So how does it work with street shots and setting up lights? Seems like it's asking for trouble.

i feel like if anything its helped me learn so much quicker, i will get to a spot and maybe have 5 minutes to find an angle, set up my lights, a couple of quick test shots and shoot the photo. now its pretty much second nature setting them all up real quick. it can be a hassle setting up 3-4 lightstands in an urban enviorment, not knowing if your going to get kicked out in 2 seconds and have to put it all away real quick, or if someones gonna knock a lightstand over, ive lost maybe 5 flashes due to a rider or a skateboarding running in to them. it also sucks carrying a giant backpack around filled with gear, and a bag that looks like a rifle bag,full of flash stands.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back