First post ever C&C please

eliz250r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a pic of my cousin. Did a lil shoot for her Mom & Dad. C&C please...

167 by Christy Gmeiner, on Flickr
Canon 30D
28-135mm
f/3.5
ISO 400

Last edited:
Not bad as a nice snapshot, but watch your backgrounds. The tree trunk on the right is distracting and the dark foliage tends to blend a little bit with her hair. Not sure if I like the "diagonal" pose, but then maybe that is just me. I would also have suggested that the model comb her hair a bit before the image was taken - the wisps of hair on her right shoulder are also a bit distracting. I could go on, but you get the idea.

If you are going to do "Portrait" type work, then you may wish to read up a bit on the topic. My 0.02¢.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

not bad for a facebook profile picture, sure to get a number of likes and 'omg you are gorgeous' 'no you are you liar' 'blah blah...' comments from her girlfriends.

give this a read, you can come back to this photo later and critique it yourself and improve.

Not bad for a first post, people have already mention the background. Try to watch out for background that distract the photos, find background that enhance it. Try to move around and find a better angle. :thumbup:

I LIKE the way you are aiming the camera close to and down along the wall, leading TO THE SUBJECT!!!! That technique is called "skimming", and is actually a professional portraiture technique. It used the out of focus wall as OOF foreground, and forces, not just leads, the eye directly to the subject, in this case your beautiful cousin. I am not however, fond of the tilt, nor of the tree trunk. HOwever, as others have suggested, this would make a really nice Facebook profile picture of her--she looks good in the shot.

I love the softness of the face but like others said keep an eye on your background.

Thank you all for your honest comments & very very helpful advice. Still a noob at this... Will post more soon, look forward to more C&C to improve!!

Also, do any of you recommend any books for noobs like me to read up on?

Understanding exposure - Bryan Peterson

He has another book called Learning to see creatively - I think that's the title.

I also agree on the background (the tree). Very nice shot otherwise. Keep up the nice work. I just posted 4 of my photos to the members gallery. Feel free to check them out.

at least she looks great in the photo, which is a great start. there is nothing worse than making people look unattractive in portrait photography.

by the way, why is the whole point of portrait photography making people appear attractive? isn't there some other quality that people should go after (or do i just don't know it)?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back