What's new

First post here

Robchaos

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
105
Reaction score
14
Location
Westminster, MD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I've joined this forum at the recommendation of my friend Adam (ADavis85) who is a member here. I also frequent Nikoncafe and Overclock.nets photo forum as well, but have been looking for some good critique and comments on my photography. OC.net everyone is too worried about sharpness and CA, and not much about content, and Nikoncafe is on the other end of the spectrum. I feel like whatever I post theres always just nothing but good comments (not that I mind that of course:mrgreen:)
My first post will be a couple pictures from an abandoned site me and Adam shot at over the weekend. Comments and Critique welcome

1.
chairs.jpg


2.
bathroom.jpg


3.
ghostmirror.jpg


4. I do like it in BW.
sinksbw.jpg
 
Last edited:
The second one is the best, I'd be tempted to change it to B&W and boost the contrast a bit but that might just be me.

The first one I don't find that interesting, maybe it's because the window is pure white.

The last one, I think the mirror is too dark, my eyes skirt around the edge and it takes a lot of effort to notice the reflection.
 
Welcome to the forum!

The second one would work for me if it was b/w and a bit brighter. Now to many details gone missing.
 
Thanks for the comments guys, here is some background info on the location:The photos were taken in a housing unit at an abandoned state hospital that was in operation from the late 1800's until 2009. The hospital was an asylum for developmentally disabled youth, and like many other hospitals of the era, was plagued with rumors of abuse and mistreatment. For each photo I wanted to keep a slightly ominous or mysterious feel. here was my thought process for each: 1. I wanted it to look shimmering bright through the window, like a gazing into something unknown sort of feeling. 2. Creepy abandoned house, old creepy bathrooms, loss of details in the shadows to me made it feel a little bit creepier. 3. I didn't want Adams reflection to be noticed immediately. Only after your eyes wander around for a moment. I shoot in RAW, and usually bracketed exposures so I have other versions of these photos to work with if I choose to revisit them, (which I might depending on further input I get,) but when I was processing the shots, these were what worked for me. Thanks!
 
Added a BW version of #2. I tried it with #1 also, but IMO it detracted from the image overall.
 
i like #1 i think the lighting is very intersting
 
I like first the best; it asks me: " What would happen now?"...really a mystical piece
Then i liked the third; i am not sure about including Adam there, because his presence draws all attention to him; the dried plants entry into the room gives it enough strength
Regards :D
 
I would boost the contrast in the B&W one. I had a go at editing it. I can post if you want me to, thought I'd better ask first.
 
I increased the overall exposure and increased the blacks which basically increases the contrast then selectively darkened the areas that seemed too blown out.

Let me know what you think, it might just be me but I really like high contrast B&W.

25fkaw6.jpg
 
I can see why it would have an allure for some, but to me it just looks too surreal. Thank you for sharing though.
 
I am glad I am not the only person who likes to go explore abandon buildings :D

I like the look of the second one especially with the person in the mirror, didn't notice him the first time.

I would pull out your other versions of the first one and dig out the one with the higher exposure value and mash those two into a HDR, that way hopefully you can "see" out the window while keeping the dark dank look inside.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom