First post! Photo critiqe

Jaylin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently went on a trip to Ireland. This was one of my favorite images from the Cliffs of Moher. I would love some critique from the community. Thank you for your help in advance!
sheep 1 smaller.jpg

The picture is a bit dull. It could od with overall brightness increasing and also Gamma (contrast). For me, there is too much sky which adds nothing - cropping the sky will help the balance of the picture.

I have had a go with your posted Jpg - this is what I ended up with (the sheep are now completely blown and featureless. It would have been better to do this to the Raw file rather than a small Jpg).
sheep 1 smaller.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a dull day, just needed a small bump in contrast. Your edit makes it too wash out (raw or not).

sheep 1 smaller1 (1).jpg

I recently went on a trip to Ireland. This was one of my favorite images from the Cliffs of Moher. I would love some critique from the community. Thank you for your help in advance! View attachment 166352

Tough to work on a jpg, but here's my best shot. Note the cropping to increase the size of the "castle" and tried to separate it from the background; increased contrast; grass is more how like I remember Ireland; sharpened it a bit.

tpfIreland.jpg

I like this crop.

Simply beautiful country. If I squint my eyes and imagine another time I can almost see medieval riders coming over the distant ridge line. As others have noted, the first was a bit flat, and your edit is an improvement, but possibly to much the other way on sharpening. Maybe a more in the middle edit.

tpfIreland-2.jpg

I have had a go with your posted Jpg - this is what I ended up with (the sheep are now completely blown and featureless. It would have been better to do this to the Raw file rather than a small Jpg).

why did you edit your edit with my edit?

I recently went on a trip to Ireland. This was one of my favorite images from the Cliffs of Moher. I would love some critique from the community. Thank you for your help in advance!

Hi welcome! Great subject and very nice photo but there is some room for improvement.

For in camera critique, the composition is a bit off in my opinion. I would have liked to see a bit more of the end of the cliff with the castle on it which would move the castle to the left a bit and put it in a better spot. I like the way the fence leads the eye to the cliffs.

For post processing - if you can tease a bit of drama out of that sky in post processing, I would leave most of it and get rid of just the very top. Not sure what you've done so far but I agree with some of the previous comments that a small bump in contrast and maybe a bit of an increase in exposure as well as an unsharp mask will improve the final result.

Thank you everyone for your input! I will take all of your advice and try to improve as much as I can.

My question to you (OP) ... when you look at the image and compare it with what you remember ... does it match.
If not, then edit the image to bring the memory back.
I am thinking ... line of sheep ... grass ... fortress ... background cliffs ... don't remember the clouds/sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back