First post.. trying to decide, 35mm nikkor or 40mm micro nikkor

cgipson1 said:
Try doing a tight head and shoulders shot with a 35mm.. and your subject will look like a fun house mirror! ;) Not flattering to the subject!

Would the 35 on a cropped have the same distortion as on a full frame?

http://newarts.com/images/EastwoodPerspectiveSeries.jpg

Either way - I still think 35 and 40 are too wide for portraits. They'd probably be good for "lifestyle" type shots where the surroundings are important!

cgipson1 said:
Try doing a tight head and shoulders shot with a 35mm.. and your subject will look like a fun house mirror! ;) Not flattering to the subject!

Would the 35 on a cropped have the same distortion as on a full frame?

http://newarts.com/images/EastwoodPerspectiveSeries.jpg

Either way - I still think 35 and 40 are too wide for portraits. They'd probably be good for "lifestyle" type shots where the surroundings are important!

You can sometimes get by on a crop sensor, if you aren't picky.. and don't get close to the subject... but sometimes it will cause very noticeable problems. On a full frame.. a 35mm can cause very apparent distortion. Very apparent in the link you posted. See how the facial symmetry is affected.. how it elongates and narrows the face? even a 50mm can cause issues if used too close.

I shoot with my 35mm all the time, even portraiture :D Buuut it should be noted that its often children, who you often need to be closer to when shooting. Its awkward to shoot adults sometimes, because you have to be super close. Its lovely sharp though. Although portraiture to me is just people, not a specific crop or framing, so that apparently makes a difference too.

I have done this, alot. There isn't any distortion.

You are.... wrong! Sorry! :)

I have done this, alot. There isn't any distortion.

You are.... wrong! Sorry! :)

Haha. I'm tellin' you! I know my childrens faces better than anything, and they are the same in my images, not distorted. I'm googling to find out why, but I've never had a problem with distortion.

These were both taken with the 40mm lens - both were pretty close. It's a macro so you can get really close. There might be a little distortion with the nose in the first one - but I dunno know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back