First post...

poof

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a B&W of my pooky.

I have lots to learn so please don't be gentle.

Awesome forum by the way.

This place is a FANTASTIC resource.

pookscaled.jpg

rss_slideshow.swf
rss_slideshow.swf

Gentle?? I tried, but can not come up with any comments, besides gorgeous kid - the lighting is perfect - absolute black on thru range and toning is flawless. Focus & sharpness accentuate the facial features without any blemishes or distraction.
Perfect portrait to print n frame, send off to all relatives and most importantly to savor in 10, 20 & 30 years.
Sorry, but that's as ungentle as I can be ; )

Whoops - one thing - the rules state that eyes should be in perfect focus. However, I personally feel that would have detracted from the closeup shot in bringing attention to eyes whereas the entire face is equally focused highlighting All features as this particular shot requires.
Know the rules, so that you'll know when a variance is necessary

My only critique would be that you didnt focus on the eyes. I would disagree that the eyes being in focus would detract from the face. Eyes serve as a focal point into a person, but it wont make up the whole image. Honestly though the focus is not that far off.

Id say you got a keeper! The photo is awesome too ;)

Yes, it is a good picture. I just don't understand why or how a teardrop landed on his forehead!

The eyes aren't perfectly sharp, but they sure look great. They really pop.

Not much else to add, tonality is just nice. You could add some dodging and burning on the face, but I don't think the dramatic look works well with babies.

Thanks for the comments guys. This is actually one of the first pictures I took after getting somewhat serious about photography. I had not yet learned about focusing on the eyes, or how aperture affects the depth of field, or even how you can get better shots by getting out of automatic :blushing:.

The drops of water are from the bath tub she's sitting in.

What is dodge and burn and how would it be useful for her face?

I'm using Gimp for editing right now...just haven't gotten too deep yet.

Heres one from the same bath, er... sitting. It's not black and white but what the hey? While I've got you all here....

Grrr.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this in hopes that someone might explain how dodge and burn help to enhance faces.

Dodging means: making certain parts of the image lighter. You can do this with the dodge-tool and set any brushsize you like. This way you can make big area's lighter (the entire face or just a hand or arm) or just very small area's lighter (like the eyes or teeth).

Burning is the opposite of dodging: you make certain parts of the image darker.

See it this way: with dodging and burning you have the ability to change the contrast in any degree of whatever part of the image.

So, with dodging and burning you can create a very dramatic look on the kids face, but I don't know if that is the kind of look you'd want.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

I tried some sharpening on her eyes. Too much?

bath1bwshscaled.jpg

Most reactions

Back