First post..

caitycaitycaity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would just like some opinions. Thanks so much!
Taken at Mt.Cook National Park in NZ.

xaorno.jpg

Looks like an awesome spot. The photo is a bit underexposed. Here's a quick edit I did:

TPF_Mountain.jpg

Ya, it was difficult to take the photo at the correct exposure because I was losing details in the glaciers. That looks much better, thanks, did you use photoshop?

The edit really helps bring out the dark areas!
Great shot and great editing...kudos to the both of you.

I would lower the greens in the edited version. They're popping out and taking away from the overall image.

A proper exposure is hard to get in this scene due to the top 1/3 being white. If you try to get the picture to look good up there, you get an underexposed bottom and the opposite happens if you attempt the opposite. I would duplicate the image, fix the bottom while keeping the top part untouched and then sandwiching them both.

Composition-wise, I like it. The river makes a nice line right through the image, leading my eyes to the right mountains, then to the left ones, then to the rocks, and back to the river. Always nice to keep your viewers' eyes moving.

I recommend taking a longer exposure (not sure if you can do it with your G10) to get the water to have that nice dreamy look to it.

Ya, it was difficult to take the photo at the correct exposure because I was losing details in the glaciers. That looks much better, thanks, did you use photoshop?
This photo is an example where filters or multiple exposure blending is needed, because the range of snow to dark foreground is too great.

Ya, I used photoshop.

I would lower the greens in the edited version. They're popping out and taking away from the overall image.

A proper exposure is hard to get in this scene due to the top 1/3 being white. If you try to get the picture to look good up there, you get an underexposed bottom and the opposite happens if you attempt the opposite. I would duplicate the image, fix the bottom while keeping the top part untouched and then sandwiching them both.

Composition-wise, I like it. The river makes a nice line right through the image, leading my eyes to the right mountains, then to the left ones, then to the rocks, and back to the river. Always nice to keep your viewers' eyes moving.

I recommend taking a longer exposure (not sure if you can do it with your G10) to get the water to have that nice dreamy look to it.

I would definitely lower the greens, as said here. This is a beautiful shot though, nice work!

Thanks, not bad for my first post... not too familiar with photoshop just yet, going to try to set aside some time and learn. Got my camera and just sort of left travelling, didn't spend too much time learning more than the basics unfortunately. Multiple exposure blending... I can understand what that means but have NO idea how to go about putting it into action. haha.. thanks for all the comments.
ps. the reason I posted this photo is because I am thinking about getting it printed onto canvas and don't want to do that until it is perfect. Appreciate all the comments =)

mind explaining what hdr is?
quite the newbie here but i love that effect

What I posted wasn't HDR, it was just a brightening/contrast/clarity job.

HDR is this How to create HDR images with Photoshop's Merge to HDR - TalkingTree.com

Basically, in situations like yours where you had a darker foreground, and then the bright snow/sky, it is almost impossible to capture all that detail in a proper manner, with one single exposure (filters will help correct this however)....
So with HDR, you take multiple exposures, optimally exposing each portion of the photo, and then you sandwich them together using a program like Photomatix Pro.
It will give you an image close to what you saw there in person.

I used Photoshop Elements 6.. Along with a couple Topaz Plug ins (Remask 2 to break up the photo, and Adjust 3).

Here is the .tif file broken down with the layers I used.... You can just open it with PS and play with it..

xaorno.tif

Thanks, it is beautiful... just goes to show me what can be done. =) I have lots and lots to learn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back