First pricing challange

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Hello, all.

After nearly 35 years in business, I have a client asking for a more detailed invoice. It's a family business and one of them feels my last invoice is too high. They are a very good client... good to work with and happy with my work. And... just plain good folks.

So, I'm second-guessing myself... wondering if I did charge too much. All the images I provide include unrestricted use. They essentially own the images. The only right I reserve is to use them for self promotion, like on my web site.

I left my place at 6:00 and returned right before 12:00. I made the four attached images. I think two rolls of seamless, one assistant, very little travel as they are nearby. Can't really remember, but I'm sure I spent most of a day (likely more) on stripping backgrounds and other artwork.

I'd be grateful to hear some of your estimates before I tell you what I charged.

Thanks SO much for you thoughts.

-Pete
MIC-5.jpg
side view.jpg
gate.jpg
VTS screen.jpg

That's a tough one... I think my bill would look like this:

Production Costs:

Photographer & assistant for 6 hours: $900

Materials:$200

Post-processing (this is normally not an additional line item for me, but if it required a full day...) $500

Licensing: It's hard to say without knowing more about the company; somewhere between $500 and $5000/image. Assuming the business is on the smaller side, probably in the $4-5000 range.

For 6 hours, an assistant, post processing, & materials I would charge a bit more, about $2200.

If you haven't already try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for info. on pricing, licensing usage, etc. I think they both have links to the same pricing guide.

ASMP did have a 'paperwork' share where you could look at actual contracts and pricing photographers did with clients. I'm not sure if it's still on there (they were revising the site) but if you search ASMP and paperwork share it may come up.

Company

So, they'd sell my company one of these these machines for like, $500, because that's what I think it's worth right? Because, I mean, whatever they are charging is too much money.

I bet there's a hungry college kid in Kankakee who could shoot this and deliver all the images on a CD for $50.

(heavy sarcasm font temporarily unavailable for the above post)

Well... John was right on with my pricing. I billed $1680. AND... Kieth was right on too. Since I do discount for clients that give me regular work, I would bill closer to $2200 for a new client.

The good news is it all worked itself out. I asked if I could meet with all concerned to address any issue, but it ended up I didn't need to go. They finally realized I billed more for this particular shoot than previous ones because they GOT more this time. Larger product took longer set-up and more image processing.

I will be going back the next time they build a new model.

Thanks to all for your input.
-Pete

Back in the day, when photographers could afford to have some "attitude," we would respond with, "Well, what does the steering wheel on your car cost?" The thinking (way back then) was that by itemizing, you open yourself up for their "cost cutting." I don't know what's true today though.

Hello, all.

After nearly 35 years in business, I have a client asking for a more detailed invoice. It's a family business and one of them feels my last invoice is too high. They are a very good client... good to work with and happy with my work. And... just plain good folks.

So, I'm second-guessing myself... wondering if I did charge too much. All the images I provide include unrestricted use. They essentially own the images. The only right I reserve is to use them for self promotion, like on my web site.

I left my place at 6:00 and returned right before 12:00. I made the four attached images. I think two rolls of seamless, one assistant, very little travel as they are nearby. Can't really remember, but I'm sure I spent most of a day (likely more) on stripping backgrounds and other artwork.

I'd be grateful to hear some of your estimates before I tell you what I charged.

Thanks SO much for you thoughts.

-PeteView attachment 152109 View attachment 152110 View attachment 152111 View attachment 152114

Sorry, wait, what ???? They own the image? How so? You took the images, correct? Then you own the images, so to me, if you are saying that you are selling the image rights to them, why are the complaining that it's too high? Just that piece for most people would be expensive.

Glad it worked out for you.

...Sorry, wait, what ???? They own the image? How so? .
I think what Pete is saying is that he gives this particular client a VERY broad set of rights; such that they can do almost the same as if they owned the image, not that do actually own it. I do the same with certain regular clients, giving them a bit more.

Yeah... John has it right. I said they essentially own the images. That is to say they can use them without limitation or restriction... as often as they like, as long as they like or anywhere they like.

So, in essence, it's as if they own the image.

And yes, Ron... it's a real bargain. I do understand your reaction.

Thanks much!
-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back