First real subject. Tell me what you think

Maverick210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. New here. I've always been interested in photography, but never had time to get serious about it. Just wanted to post a couple of recent portraits that I took and get some good opinion on what I could do better or what I did right if anything. Thanks in advanced for your input.

I actually used a sheet to take these pictures, so I used a wide open aperture for a shallow depth of field to make the wrinkles and other imperfections that show up on the sheet in the background less visible.

Nikon D7100
50mm 1.8G

Attachments

• DSC_2508_01-2.jpg
    DSC_2508_01-2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_2509_01.jpg
    DSC_2509_01.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 227
The main problem I see with both these is that they both appear out-of-focus. It looks like you used a lot of noise reduction/smoothing to achieve this and I have a feeling it was due to the fact you used such a large aperture. I don't like narrow DOF for portraits like this. These do not look like there were shot with a D7100.

I'd rather you use at least f/5.6 on these and get her completely in focus. if there's too much DOF that you're seeing detail in the background: use a longer lens and pull her further away from it.

The light is lovely on her, but both are underexposed by about a stop.

The main problem I see with both these is that they both appear out-of-focus. It looks like you used a lot of noise reduction/smoothing to achieve this and I have a feeling it was due to the fact you used such a large aperture. I don't like narrow DOF for portraits like this. These do not look like there were shot with a D7100.

I'd rather you use at least f/5.6 on these and get her completely in focus. if there's too much DOF that you're seeing detail in the background: use a longer lens and pull her further away from it.

The light is lovely on her, but both are underexposed by about a stop.
Well thank you for you reply. That is the type of advise that I need. A longer lens with her further away from the backround is something I didnt and never would have thought of. I do have am 85mm lens. The reason I used the 50 is because the space I was working in was kind of small.

I love 50mm on dx for portraits. Here the background is neutral, so I would just keep the model closer just a little more distant from background and I would go with a f/4 or f/5.6. Keep focus point on EYES.
I prefer the first pose to the bw one. Also tell her not to grap her shoulder so strong. ;)
I don't know which shutter speed did you use, but that's under-exposed.

I love 50mm on dx for portraits. Here the background is neutral, so I would just keep the model closer just a little more distant from background and I would go with a f/4 or f/5.6. Keep focus point on EYES.
I prefer the first pose to the bw one. Also tell her not to grap her shoulder so strong. ;)
I don't know which shutter speed did you use, but that's under-exposed.
Thank you so much. So you prefer the color picture over the black and white. May I ask why? My eyes are still new to photography so I don't pick up on little details like he her gripping her shoulders so strong. Which im glad you noticed because its something that I never would have. Didn't even notice it until you mentioned it.

Also does anyone think I would have had better results with my 85mm glass at a 4-5.6. If my understanding is correct pulling her further away from the background would put the background at a longer depth of field and I could get the same amount of bokeh on the sheet I used for the background to get rid of the little imperfections that would have otherwise shown up much clearer. I hope you guys understand what I mean by that

Also does anyone think I would have had better results with my 85mm glass at a 4-5.6. If my understanding is correct pulling her further away from the background would put the background at a longer depth of field and I could get the same amount of bokeh on the sheet I used for the background to get rid of the little imperfections that would have otherwise shown up much clearer. I hope you guys understand what I mean by that

f/4 through f/8 are often the sweet spot for portraits. You are correct that you can still have a reasonable amount of background blur / bokeh with these settings especially at 85mm on a crop sensor camera.

Another variable you may want to consider is subject distance, this will effect the depth of field and the perspective distortion on the subject. The drawback is you need at least 10 ft or so to use your 85mm.

Here's an interesting article about subject isolation
. Keep in mind that since you have a 1.5 crop factor the 85mm is equivalent to 128mm or roughly the same as a 135mm.

f/4 through f/8 are often the sweet spot for portraits. You are correct that you can still have a reasonable amount of background blur / bokeh with these settings especially at 85mm on a crop sensor camera.

Another variable you may want to consider is subject distance, this will effect the depth of field and the perspective distortion on the subject. The drawback is you need at least 10 ft or so to use your 85mm.

Here's an interesting article about subject isolation
. Keep in mind that since you have a 1.5 crop factor the 85mm is equivalent to 128mm or roughly the same as a 135mm.
Actually that is one thing I have kept in mind is subject distance which is why I tend to stick with my 50mm. For this reason I have been looking into picking up a Tamron or Sigma 24-70mm 2.8. Id love to grab the nikon, but at almost 600 bucks more. I just cant afford it right now.

So you prefer the color picture over the black and white. May I ask why?

Because of the pose. She looks more natural. The bw pose makes her face strange, I don't like the effect of perspective on her face from that angle.

So you prefer the color picture over the black and white. May I ask why?

Because of the pose. She looks more natural. The bw pose makes her face strange, I don't like the effect of perspective on her face from that angle.
So do you think its the BW pictures that makes the pose look strange, or is it the pose that just isn't working.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to take in as much from people with more experience as I can. I really want to better knowledge and skill behind the camera and critiquing and a little criticism goes a long way in my doing so.

Actually that is one thing I have kept in mind is subject distance which is why I tend to stick with my 50mm. For this reason I have been looking into picking up a Tamron or Sigma 24-70mm 2.8. Id love to grab the nikon, but at almost 600 bucks more. I just cant afford it right now.

Look around for a Sigma 24-70mm/2.8. I just snagged one off the classifieds here for $350. Great lens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back