First Responder Photo Project

I like the direction you're going here, but a couple of things occur to me:

1. In three out of three images, you've got essentially the same pose: a neutral facial with the subject holding an axe/FE tool on this shoulder. Given how many cool toys there are on and around a fire truck, I think this needs to be considered.

2. The background is being ignored. In the first image (your poster shot) you nailed it. That image is perfect; just unfocused enough not to compete, but still clearly identifiable, and appropriate. In the other two on this page... mehhh.

Looking at 406, there's a big dark area on the windshield of the truck, and then a bright, in-focus background with a ton of distracting elements which really pull the eye away from the subject. 31 is better, but the body of the truck is forming a set of leading lines that pull the eye right to the blank, back wall. I think in this case, having him seated on the "running board" with the department name on the door visible camera right and resting the FE tool on the ground or running board would have made this a stronger image.

This is a great concept, and i think you're off to a good start, but I think a little more planning and thought will take this from "cool idea" to "Holy **** that's amazing!".

(Oh and getting back to 406 - did his Mummy say it was okay for him to play fireman?)

I like the direction you're going here, but a couple of things occur to me:

1. In three out of three images, you've got essentially the same pose: a neutral facial with the subject holding an axe/FE tool on this shoulder. Given how many cool toys there are on and around a fire truck, I think this needs to be considered.

2. The background is being ignored. In the first image (your poster shot) you nailed it. That image is perfect; just unfocused enough not to compete, but still clearly identifiable, and appropriate. In the other two on this page... mehhh.

Looking at 406, there's a big dark area on the windshield of the truck, and then a bright, in-focus background with a ton of distracting elements which really pull the eye away from the subject. 31 is better, but the body of the truck is forming a set of leading lines that pull the eye right to the blank, back wall. I think in this case, having him seated on the "running board" with the department name on the door visible camera right and resting the FE tool on the ground or running board would have made this a stronger image.

This is a great concept, and i think you're off to a good start, but I think a little more planning and thought will take this from "cool idea" to "Holy **** that's amazing!".

(Oh and getting back to 406 - did his Mummy say it was okay for him to play fireman?)

Thanks for the feedback!

A lot of the problem with the background is that it's freezing out up here so I'm shooting them indoors. In almost all of these shots my back is against the wall and there isn't much room... forcing me to use a wider, slower lens than I'd like and choose less than ideal angles and such. It sucks when you can't carry out the vision you want because of things out of your control.

I actually asked 406 if he could move the one truck out of the way but he isn't cleared to drive them yet.. mommy hasn't given full permission apparently haha.

Like I said I've got a few more shoots coming up this month.. I'll make it a point to try and plan out the composition better!

Play the hand you're dealt. Instead of going wide, go tight; waist up, and just a bit of the truck; say the pump panel, door badge, something like that. I think you'll get a LOT more impact out of them that way.

Gary Bernstein was a huge advocate of the Westcott Apollo line of modifiers. He would often use two or three or four of them to light lager sets.

You might see if you could move the light unit a bit farther back, to get a more-even light, and then later, dodge and burn to create the lighting effect you want. In the shot of 406...the front of the truck seems under-lighted, but I see ceiling light, from the shutter speed used I guess.

As Tirediron sai above, "go tight; waist up, and just a bit of the truck; say the pump panel, door badge, something like that. I think you'll get a LOT more impact out of them that way." I think this is seen in the shot of #31; that blue light at the top left corner,and the beige wall...draws the eye away. Shows too much of the truck.

Alright guys, had another go at this today and tried to put some of the advice to work.. tried to clean up the background and shoot tighter, primarily. Shot today with a husband and wife. Tried getting them to do one together, but they didn't want to. The first two are actually being added to the project on my website. The third one was just too cute not to share.

1.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

2.)
Edit-1-2-XL.jpg

3.)
Edit-1-3-XL.jpg

Alright guys, first two shoots of the new year and new theme for this project were just completed today. Got to play with some new lighting modifiers (43" Wescott Apollo Orb and grid) and had a ton of fun! I have several more shoots planned for this month with firefighters and paramedics, so new work will be continually posted as it gets done.

1.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

2.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

@ Destin Great job! Hmm.. Inspiring me to get some projects going too.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Nice! I like these a lot better. That said, time to start nit-picking! ;) I think the lights in #1 are just a touch too hot; not bad, and you could probably pull them down in post. As well, you've cropped a bit of the logo on the truck; not the end of the world, but I would have liked it better were it all complete. In #2 the lighting is better though the highlights on the helmet and right shoulder could come down a little. Great background! My only real nit is her hair... I can't imagine her running into a fire like that; this makes me think of a model dressed up as a firefighter. #3 is outstanding and most definitely should be part of the project! This shows the family side and that there's more to a fireman than just someone in a big hat holding an FET.

#3 is a perfect shot in my view. All others are good too.

When is your photsoot with @pixmedic?

I'd totally be willing to do one. Could use a few days in Florida where it's warm.. the snow has got me staying inside lately.

When is your photsoot with @pixmedic?
I'm not a firefighter so I don't have all that fancy looking gear

@pixmedic The project is for all first responders. I'm a Paramedic myself, which was the motivation for this. I'm trying to find PD/EMS to work with for this, but it's hard because they're generally paid agencies around here whereas the FD is mostly volunteer and easier to get access to.

I'm technically a firefighter too but haven't worn all the fancy gear in a long, long time.

Nice! I like these a lot better. That said, time to start nit-picking! ;) I think the lights in #1 are just a touch too hot; not bad, and you could probably pull them down in post. As well, you've cropped a bit of the logo on the truck; not the end of the world, but I would have liked it better were it all complete. In #2 the lighting is better though the highlights on the helmet and right shoulder could come down a little. Great background! My only real nit is her hair... I can't imagine her running into a fire like that; this makes me think of a model dressed up as a firefighter. #3 is outstanding and most definitely should be part of the project! This shows the family side and that there's more to a fireman than just someone in a big hat holding an FET.

Thanks man! The logo being cropped is driving me nuts as well, but I knew I did it.. it was that or switch to a wide lens and lose my thin DOF.. at the time I opted to maintain the DOF.

Agreed with her hair, should have had her put it up or put her nomex hood on... live and learn.

I've added the third photo to the project gallery on my website.

This last batch are much better IMHO. The expressions on their faces DON'T look as though the wife just left them and took the dog and all the beer with her. #3 is adorable! :)

Most reactions

Back