First Responder Photo Project

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm starting a new personal photography project photographing first responders in my area. As a local volunteer firefighter and paramedic, I'm doing this as a PR/recruitment and retention tool. And let's face it, it's a way to get interesting subjects in front of my camera. I'm starting this thread as a place to continually upload my work on the project to share with TPF without starting new threads regularly.

Just getting started with it right now, but here's the flyer explaining it better:

First%20Responder%20PTSD%20-%20JPG-XL.jpg

Updated 1/5/17 with rebranded version of flyer.

Last edited:
That is great! I look forward to the photos to come! :)

Very similar to my Veteran's Portrait Project. A great lead-in image. My only thought is that the phrase "lend a helping hand" seems a bit weak.

Very similar to my Veteran's Portrait Project. A great lead-in image. My only thought is that the phrase "lend a helping hand" seems a bit weak.

Reading it again I don't disagree. But I'm struggling to rephrase it.. suggestions?

Maybe some play on service? Like "they serve the community regardless of..."

How about "When you need help they will answer the call regardless of the circumstances..."

Thanks for doing this, I think it's a valuable project. I have done some recruiting photos for my department as we are trying to do anything possible to boost our recruitment and retention. Five years ago we would have 2500+ applicants a year, now we're lucky to top 750. Have you thought more about what you will do with these images you're taking? One of the things I did was use a slogan our department is using and made recruitment artwork out of it. Maybe you could come up with a set of "products" you can offer the various departments where you provide them with the images and they just need to have them printed? I don't know, I'm just spit balling here.. Here's two examples of what I did:

This is a banner image which is used both in print and on the web.

And this is a recruitment card intended to be printed on card stock and handed out by recruiters or any department member, really.

How about "When you need help they will answer the call regardless of the circumstances..."

Thanks for doing this, I think it's a valuable project. I have done some recruiting photos for my department as we are trying to do anything possible to boost our recruitment and retention. Five years ago we would have 2500+ applicants a year, now we're lucky to top 750. Have you thought more about what you will do with these images you're taking? One of the things I did was use a slogan our department is using and made recruitment artwork out of it. Maybe you could come up with a set of "products" you can offer the various departments where you provide them with the images and they just need to have them printed? I don't know, I'm just spit balling here..

Honestly I've not really gotten that far yet. For the time being I'm just trying to get 5-10 shoots under my belt to develop a portfolio specific to the project. Once that's done I may well make up some example promotional materials like what you shared and offer them up to departments.

One of the largest problems we have in my area, specifically with the volunteer fire service, is that they are run by the "good ole boys" who are typically technologically illiterate and opposed to changing the way they do things. As such, many departments shy away from even having facebook pages or websites. I'm working on it, but it's a slow process to change their minds and prove that it's needed in today's world.

The paid services in my area (police, some FD, some EMS) don't really have recruitment problems. As such, they don't really have active recruiting programs in place, and it's going to be hard to even get them to agree to do shoots with me.

Two from today, not exactly thrilled with them. I know this firefighter very well and as such it was extremely laid back.. to the point that taking photos took a back seat to socializing. Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely affected my attention to detail... can't stand how the SCBA pressure readout (plastic thing on his right shoulder) is flipped over.

1.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

2.)
Edit-3-XL.jpg

I totally understand those challenges, and all I can say, is good luck and keep up with persistence! Eventually people either retire or have an "ah-ha" moment and come around.

I like the images you captured here as art, but I feel like if your goal is recruitment and retention, you might focus on images that say "come work here, it's a great place and a great profession!" What I'm seeing here is the emotionally drained first responder that's been seasoned over many years of seeing things nobody should have to see. That might be a turn off for some who are eager and excited about entering a noble profession. I think seeing smiles and happiness might work better, or action shots rather than static ones. Anyway, that's just my two cents..

I know you're just starting out .... but ... Those two images don't tell the story of service, committment, saving lives, to me. But that would be my story behind this assignment. Define your story.

Photography is communications. As such there isn't much, if any, difference between photographs and the written word. You have an opportunity to the real story of your department. For me posing just doesn't define realty.

I know you're just starting out .... but ... Those two images don't tell the story of service, committment, saving lives, to me. But that would be my story behind this assignment. Define your story.

Photography is communications. As such there isn't much, if any, difference between photographs and the written word. You have an opportunity to the real story of your department. For me posing just doesn't define realty.

I get that, and I'm working on getting permission to photograph on the fire ground and at scenes/training. But I'm usually there as a responder and not a photographer so that's not really practical. There are plenty of photojournalists in my area doing that style of photography.

I guess I'm looking at this more of an artistic personal project, and if it can be used to help the departments out then that's a bonus.

Here's another one, shot yesterday. Not really happy with it, but I only got about 3 frames off after getting set up before they got dispatched on a call and had to take off. Definitely gonna be a re-shoot, but not bad for the 5 minutes I had.

Edit-1-XL.jpg

Not a bad shot. I feel like the angle is too low for this shot. It sorta makes her look large in the torso with no neck. Maybe next time is you want to keep the low angle, have her sit on the side step, shoot in portrait and move in a bit? Just my thoughts. Keep it up!

New Year, New Theme: For 2017 I have rebranded this first responder project. It is no longer about recruitment and retention (though it will still be used for that, in that I'll give department's copies of the photos to use for advertising, etc). After watching several colleagues battle with job related PTSD and depression throughout 2016, I'm refocusing my project with the goal of drawing attention to these issues.

There are potential plans to use the project to raise money for the code green campaign in the coming year if it takes off as I hope it will, and possibly even formally partner with them somehow eventually.

Thank you again to everyone who has followed this thread thus far, I look forward to growing it in the new year!

First%20Responder%20PTSD%20-%20JPG-X3.jpg

Alright guys, first two shoots of the new year and new theme for this project were just completed today. Got to play with some new lighting modifiers (43" Wescott Apollo Orb and grid) and had a ton of fun! I have several more shoots planned for this month with firefighters and paramedics, so new work will be continually posted as it gets done.

1.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

2.)
Edit-1-XL.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back