First Set of pix w New Camera CC PLEASE

itsanaddiction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey y'all! I just bought a Canon 40d and went out with a friend and did a shoot. These are a few of my favorites. I haven't edited them at all. Please let me know what y'all think and what I should do/not do. Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

1, 2 - She's posing artificially, she doesn't look natural.

3 - Right hand doesn't look good, I'd crop lower.

5 - If you stage it, then stage it… make her look tense or terrified.
She looks like she's on a sofa.

6 - Looks artificial again.

7 - I like it. Good composition. Notice that she looks much more natural.

8 - I'd crop the right side, just enough to get the bit of blue dress is out of the frame.

Maybe that's the point. I really like doing shots that are the opposite of what's expected. It usually evokes a response from up tight people.

Her face is suffering from shadows. Buy a reflector. If you're feeling cheap, a sun shade for a car will work too.

Originally Posted by Ben-71

Maybe that's the point. I really like doing shots that are the opposite of what's expected. It usually evokes a response from up tight people.

"up tight people"? ;)
It is simply not staged good enough to relay that contradiction.
Looks too artificial to relay anything.

1, 2 - She's posing artificially, she doesn't look natural.

3 - Right hand doesn't look good, I'd crop lower.

6 - Looks artificial again.

7 - I like it. Good composition. Notice that she looks much more natural.

8 - I'd crop the right side, just enough to get the bit of blue dress is out of the frame.

Thank yyou so much! If I can, I'll try to explain, and if you can - please tell me what you would have done differently!! Thanks again!

1 - Yes she was posing - ALOT of photographers pose their subjects
2 - That's actually how she was sitting when I asked her to look at me
3 - A close up of 2
4 - Was that one okay then?
5 - I wanted it like that! I think it looks amazing and who would have thought of it!
6 - Just playing with angles - reminded me of fashion pix and such
7 - Thanks - she became more comfortable with the last few shots...I was so upset
8 - thanks I didn't catch that at all!

Lol at people complaining that a "model" is "posing", how silly.
I like the shots.
Watch the neck in the first photo. She is much prettier when she isn't all scrunched up.
The only other thing I would suggest is watching the sky in No.6 cause it is a little lost.
Other than that keep up the good work.

I'm a noob to composition, but people always tell me not to chop off peoples feet and stuff, which you did in the first few. It might make her look too far away to keep them in, though. I don't know. But like, with #1, I'd either put more of her leg in, or none at all. And with #2, I'd put the feet back in the photo, and just see if it makes it seem more complete.

Anyway, that's the only thing I'd suggest (and by suggest I mean try and see if it looks better, not do without questioning me :) )

I really dig your style, and I kind of dig your friend, too! :) To put it professionally, she's a very "capable" model. :)

I moved your thread to the right forum, i.e. People Photography - the galleries are the picture showcases.
The Beginners' Place is a Q&A forum.

dangergoinoff
Lol at people complaining that a "model" is "posing", how silly.
I like the shots.
Watch the neck in the first photo. She is much prettier when she isn't all scrunched up.
I'm glad I made you laugh :) ... Of course she was posing... I commented about how she was doing it.

And, you agree with me... See the bold part of your comment... :)

itsanaddiction,

Thank you so much! If I can, I'll try to explain, and if you can - please tell me what you would have done differently!! Thanks again!

1 – Yes she was posing - ALOT of photographers pose their subjects
Of course she was. The question is how natural / unnatural she looks, and what does her posing relay in the shot.
Most of her body postures don't look natural in the pics. Maybe you know the person too well to see it.

2 - <<That's actually how she was sitting when I asked her to look at me >>

Her sitting is natural. It's the way she turns her head, w/o moving the shoulder, which looks artificial.
Now, this specific head-shoulder posing usually relays 'provocative', but in this pic it just looks artificial.

3 - << A close up of 2 >>

The right hand doesn't look good in this crop. "Amputations" rarely do...

4 - << Was that one okay then? >>

I think that it's much better. I like the arms-legs composition.

5 - << I wanted it like that! I think it looks amazing and who would have thought of it! >>

A little smile, and being a bit less stretched so straight, would have relayed it better.

When working with a model (pro or friend), apart from composition, exposure, etc', you have to take extra care about the body language of your model.
If you intend to shoot people, I recommend reading a good book or two about body language.

6 - << Just playing with angles - reminded me of fashion pix and such >>

Yes, it looks that way, but... to get closer to the current trend, imagine her lowering her chin & opening her nice eyes to the camera much wider, or - lifting her chin, giving the camera that 'trendy' cold-angry-arrogant look.
[ If you teased her at that moment, you'd have got that look... ;-) ]

7 - << Thanks - she became more comfortable with the last few shots...I was so upset >>

Well... getting upset? - with a woman?! - Who is modeling for you?! &#8211;
That's 'un-photographically correct' ! :)

Make the session fun &#8211; first of all for her, then for you.
Neither of you went there in order to suffer, right?
Start by taking casual shots &#8211; "for tuning exposure" or "to check the lens", whatever.
If she's tense, get her more comfortable with the situation, and gradually guide her to change posture a bit, to smile a bit. Replace the "artificialness" with fun.

I lack the lack of expressions on her face.
With her feeling tense, and you getting annoyed, it's time to take 5, and create a proper mood first. It's a precondition.

She can model better. It's up to you to bring it out from her.

Also, be ready to take a shot, in an instant, all the time, between staged shots as well. Her natural beahviour between stagings offer some nice captures.

8 - << thanks I didn't catch that at all! >>

You're welcome :)

Most reactions

Back