first set

Lucky13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok like i said i just started go easy on me. these are the first pictures i did
with my camera. they are of little boy Bill. they havent been edited of course.

DSC01539.jpg

aside from the tounge hanging out!!!!

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

this was my favorite of course

DSC01571.jpg

i didnt mean to do the shadow but it turned out to be my moms favorite so i kept it.

you can tell by the "marble skin" that the baby is cold... looks kinda miserable, too..

no i asure you hes wasnt. thats why i took his cloths off he hadnt had a nap yet, and wasnt real happy with me, because he had his shots the day before. i have alot of him smiling but they didnt turn out how i wanted them too. he was just a few months old here as well

you can tell by the "marble skin" that the baby is cold... looks kinda miserable, too..

I really hate critiquing these type of photos because I think I know what you are looking to get out of them, specifically "Those are really cute pictures, he's adorable"... And I will say... those ARE cute pictures, and he IS adorable.

However, from a technical perspective.... they don't do much for me.

In the first, as you point out, the tongue is distracting and they eyes seem crossed, like his left eye is wandering. The skin marbling is also distracting, but that can probably be taken out in processing.

In the second, he just has a "I'm miserable" look on his face.

The thrid I think is the best of what you posted, however, I would have prefered there was no diaper. You could have used some strategic positioning of the blanket to keep him covered in the same way. There is also some considerable amount pink material showing through under the blanket in the lower right

The fourth has some pretty harsh shadows in it, is it safe to assume you used your onboard flash? It looks like you just didn't have enough light. I would have prefered to see more lighting in the background and a much shallower depth of field.

The last one, the shadow just ruins it for me. And not so much the shadow from the right, I actually like the main shadow, but the shadows from his knee and the frogs leg on his belly. His hand covering his face is also distracting.

yea the whole shadow thing was i was holding my niece while doing the last pictures and doing it one handed so my finger got in front of the flash.. i didnt even notice the pink showing LOL. i did his and my niece so i used the pink for her thanks for telling me i guess i dont pay enough attention. thank you for your thoughts ill do better next time :) i just for the most part wanted his eyes to show because they are so big and beautiful any thoughts and the ones that are worth photoshoping and what would you do to them?

I'd like to stress that they aren't bad photos, I don't want to discourage you or make you think that you need to "do better". The reason I don't like to critique photos like that is because there is a personal sentimental attachment to them, and by pointing out things I see as that I think can be improved upon, I don't want you to take it as a personal attack at you personally.

As for what can be photoshopped.... The pink in the blanket can easily be cloned out. There also appears to be something in the top left corner that could be cloned out. Other than that, I can't really suggest anything that would make those photos more technically appeasing.

He does have beautiful eyes, I wish there was a shot in there that had a happier expression on his face.

I've found 3 keys to baby photos, of which you already have 2 down:

1. Focus on the eyes
2. Get close
3. Capture a characteristic expression

Things like composition or lighting problems don't detract much if these 3 things are right.

The only important thing missing in most of your pics is #3. The one you say is your favorite (mine too) best meets these 3 points, particularly the facial expression.

I'd say you're on the right track, just keep snapping until you capture a moment when he really lights up those big blue eyes!

no its ok really. im tryin to learn and i need all the advice on how i can do better. i have some of him where he doesnt look so unhappy. they are also more recent.

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01755.jpg

hes teething so hes got super slobber going on. but he wasnt unhappy this go round

thank you so much that means alot to me im really trying to learn all the different setting on my camera. i havent had it real long and its all new to me

When photographing babies, it's always good practice to keep on-hand something to quickly wipe away drool slobber. With some babies, you will want a wet/dry vac. :D

When photographing any person at any age (especially if the person is wearing black or some other dark color) and animals, keep a lint roller close by. Specks and bits are not the kind of props you want to use in most portrait photography.

Watch harsh shadows created by odd angles, shooting up the nose, getting too close (this causes the head to look distorted in the photos), and flying arms. To avoid flying arms while the baby is on its stomach, prop the baby up on its arms. This will also encourage the baby to hold its head up a little more. Prop that baby up! Use blankets, pillows, or something soft and firm for propping babies.

Lastly, the green blanket/fabric. I do like the texture and how comfortable and soft it looks, but it's drastic on the white and the black and is a bit harsh on the eyes. If you have something else on-hand, try that. If you have photo-editing software, bring it down a few tones.

Last edited:
yea that blanket i got for easter for him and got my daughter a pink one, but ive desided even though it makes his eyes look more blue it leaves more fur behind that my dog so i retired it. im still tryin to learn the lighting, where to put the stands how to face them just right. any advice on that?

First one is a little under exposed, and I think your depth of field is too shallow, I would have liked to see more of the baby in focus as well as the blanket.

Second one relys too much on the onboard flash, it caused a shine on his lip and chin that is distracting, and a harsh shadow on his outline. This shot could be improved by using more ambient light and less flash.

The thrid one I think you NAILED the expression... I'm really drawn to him in this one. He really has a great "wonder" in his eyes. But I don't like the black shirt on black background....too much black.

Fouth one... got another great expression. Also like your depth of field, the front of the blanket is out of focus... it adds a lot of depth and dimention to the photo. Its slightly under exposed as well.

The fifth one, again great expression... would have loved to have seen some of those expressions on the first block of photos, it really puts a twinkle in the big bright eyes you were trying to capture. Again, however, you are getting some harsh shadows. Overall lighting is pretty rough, though if you are limited to an onboard flash and poor indoor lighting, there really isn't much you can do.

And I saved the best for last... Your biggest flaw in these pictures.... and the EASIEST to correct. Get out your iron and fix those wrikles in your sheet. :thumbup:

First one is a little under exposed, and I think your depth of field is too shallow, I would have liked to see more of the baby in focus as well as the blanket.

Second one relys too much on the onboard flash, it caused a shine on his lip and chin that is distracting, and a harsh shadow on his outline. This shot could be improved by using more ambient light and less flash.

The thrid one I think you NAILED the expression... I'm really drawn to him in this one. He really has a great "wonder" in his eyes. But I don't like the black shirt on black background....too much black.

Fouth one... got another great expression. Also like your depth of field, the front of the blanket is out of focus... it adds a lot of depth and dimention to the photo. Its slightly under exposed as well.

The fifth one, again great expression... would have loved to have seen some of those expressions on the first block of photos, it really puts a twinkle in the big bright eyes you were trying to capture. Again, however, you are getting some harsh shadows. Overall lighting is pretty rough, though if you are limited to an onboard flash and poor indoor lighting, there really isn't much you can do.

And I saved the best for last... Your biggest flaw in these pictures.... and the EASIEST to correct. Get out your iron and fix those wrikles in your sheet. :thumbup:

yes my husband bought me a set with the backdrops, lights, stands all that as a gift to start with and i had just opened those lol i have washed them and all that it bothered me to my husband of course not caring about my picture said oh you cant tell HAHAHA...but thank you i need to figure out where to place the lights and where to stand

Most reactions

Back