First shot at photography

dgarza715

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Nikon D90 and a Nikkor-Micro 55mm manual lens. Here is my first shot at taking some photos with it. Let me know what you guys thing and how i can improve. Thanks

3775463432_c4f8501658.jpg

3775463792_a0e910b333.jpg

3775464416_9358308845.jpg

3774658929_aba0e7ece4.jpg

3774659885_968d3771a8.jpg

3774660889_fc98090c63.jpg

Looks pretty good.... I like simplicity... I think the images look crisp and accurate ...... :thumbup:

These look great. The fourth one seems blurry, but the rest look really sharp. The lighting is nice and soft . . . perfect for product shots like this. The first two might be better with a little more exposure (in other words, they seem under-exposed.) I say this because you have lost the detail in the shape of the angled beads. On the shadowed side you can't distinguish the facets. It seems like you have either a second light or a reflector on the left. If it's a light, you might try turning up the power a little, if it's a reflector, you might move it closer or use a more reflective surface.
Also, I like how the silver clasp is reflecting the light in the second one better than the first.
Hope this is helpful. They look really good over all.

Thanks, I really suprised myself when i saw how some of these turned out but i guess out of 300+ pics at least one should be decent. As for the lighting right now i'm using 3 100W daylight flourescent bulbs but they just done't seem to put out enough light, i had them practically right on top of the pieces to get good lighting. Any suggestions on what kind of lights i should be using for this type of photography?

As for the lighting right now i'm using 3 100W daylight flourescent bulbs but they just done't seem to put out enough light, i had them practically right on top of the pieces to get good lighting.
Yeah, fluorescent lighting isn't really good to use for photography.
Any suggestions on what kind of lights i should be using for this type of photography?
This web site should help answer that question.

Have you tried masking your light with cheese cloth ? I don't get why more people don't divulge this little secret. Anyway yeh buy some and hang it infront of your light source to soften the light, it's cheaper then buying a softbox and works really well with jewelery pictures, especially silver ;)

Have you tried masking your light with cheese cloth ? I don't get why more people don't divulge this little secret. Anyway yeh buy some and hang it infront of your light source to soften the light, it's cheaper then buying a softbox and works really well with jewelery pictures, especially silver ;)

Got any sample images?

Most reactions

Back