first shots. C&C

darkchild

The Punisher
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so i just got my canon t2i "first camera i have owned besides a phone" and i am wanting to learn from my bad pictures :)

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

keep in mind these are my first shots. i have lots to learn.

i don't know what you wish to learn so here is some generic advice from a wanna-be fine art photographer point of view:

simplify and remove all distracting elements
pay attention to quality of light and how it creates depth
look at art daily. browse flickr. deviantart, etc.
study the history of photography. see what others have done before you.
let dasani take their own product pictures.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but these look like shots from someone who didn't have any idea of what they want to shoot. I like the suggestio to simplify your compositions... That will really help. While the Dasani shot might be an interesting angle, there is also a nod to Wilson sporting equipment, some crap that was left on the floor and half a figure lying on the couch. In the cute little girl shot, I can't get by the crooked picture and the pile of boxes. With lack of scene control, these really become snapshots.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but these look like shots from someone who didn't have any idea of what they want to shoot. I like the suggestio to simplify your compositions... That will really help. While the Dasani shot might be an interesting angle, there is also a nod to Wilson sporting equipment, some crap that was left on the floor and half a figure lying on the couch. In the cute little girl shot, I can't get by the crooked picture and the pile of boxes. With lack of scene control, these really become snapshots.

uhh... actually, i didn't have any idea of what i want to shoot haha. this isn't harsh at all, this is why i joined.

uhh... actually, i didn't have any idea of what i want to shoot haha. this isn't harsh at all, this is why i joined.

Gotta love your honesty! :)

Well, with that kind of attitude, I am sure you will pick stuff up really quickly. Give yourself an assignment and go shoot that. Post some pics that are related and ask for feedback on that session. If you have trouble coming up with ideas, take a look at the fight club on here. I'm looking forward to your next post.

Try shooting some "talls", especially of your kid...I find most newcomers do not try enough vertical compositions. You have a great attitude,and with such an attitude, you will probably be able to learn like a sponge. Bob. Sponge Bob....OMG...my kid's TV shows have penetrated my brain!!!!!!

What surprises me much with newcomers to photography today (and in a positive sense, that is!) is the fact that many start out with NIGHT photography! The first photo shown was taken at night! It took me decades (and had required my being a member of TPF first!) before I ever dared to venture into that area of photography! Without the option of deletion of photos gone wrong I'd never have dared to go into that field.

So: kudos on the first. No matter how boring it might be subject-wise (which I'm afraid it is...).

Another very down-to-earth tip: never take photos of the flower bouquets you once gave your wife (no matter at what stage the flowers are: fresh, wilting, or all wilted, like here...) with the inbuilt flash coming up. The shadows you get from that kind of light will definitely ruin your shot. Wait, until you got her a fresh bouquet, wait for daylight to fall into the room through a window, and try to work with that.

Good tip from Derrel: yes, do consider turning your camera by 90 degrees to also take vertically framed photos! With subjects such as bottles or human faces or bodies, it is just so much more the choice. Much later, when you mean to express something particular that you only CAN express through a horizontally framed photo, even if it is a bottle or a person, you can express your special aspect differently. But in order to know how to express oneself in photos specifically DIFFERENT, you need to work on the "norm", which means: learn and know (by heart) about all the "rules". After that, you sure have the freedom to choose to either stick with them or to step out from them and do "your thing".

Ok... anyone who thanks me after enduring criticism, deserves a bonus. I got rid of your wife for you... photographically.

dqi31u

Hopeful this helps show what I was indicating in a previous post. It is a quick edit, so there are some problems in the couch, but now you can't help but focus on the subject. You also pick up that the composition is nicely balanced asymmetrically. See, I can be positive too.

The reason for my night pictures is... i bought the camera at night :) and i was excited to try it out, so i was taking pictures on my way home haha.

The flowers: i was at a friend's house and they were there calling my name out so i just had to satisfy them by taking their picture :p

The little girl: i was laying down on the ground just messing with the camera and she was playing next to me, she is my brother's daughter, and the other person is his wife, i was trying to figure out how to keep a blurry background and that was the result.

oldmacman, your edit makes me want to burry my camera and never take a picture again, it looks really good now haha, what photo editing software did you use?

again, thanks for all of the help everyone, i feel like i am 1 step closer to taking good pictures worth looking at.

You have the exposure down, but other than the Mac shot, they're blurry. Also, I kinda think blurry mom adds to that shot. Now, if only the kid was sharp...

The main thing is to make sure you understand why the edit looks better. Our eyes are drawn to distractions. Even if our brain knows what the subject is supposed to be, our eyes keep going "yeah, but what's that nearly indistinguishable blob over there?!" So the less clutter and distraction you have in the background, the better.

You can still have things important to the image in the background. For example; if this had been a little girl on a swing or other park equipment and had the mother out of focus (OOF) in the background, you would get a sense that she's watching over her daughter. So it works. You just need to make sure that you plan out your images and what they are supposed to say.

Here's my best recommendations for starting out:

-Shoot in one of the manual modes (Tv, Av, or M) as much as possible. Only switch to "green box" mode if you think you won't have time to plan your settings (snapshots)
-Do a google search on "the exposure triangle". Especially pay attention to how each of the three settings controls other areas of the image other than exposure
-Do another google search for "photography composition" and "the rule of thirds". Keep in mind that these rules can be broken. But it's good to have a grasp of why they work.
-Keep shooting and posting here. As you've seen, some comments can be harsh, but they're for your benefit. You've shown you can take it in stride, which is a very good thing.

Now get out there and take some pictures outside during the day! lol. BTW: Best time to take photos outdoors: the couple hours before sunset and after sunrise (known as the "golden hours"). Warm, soft, natural sunlight. Worst time to take pictures: Noon. Harsh shadows and highlights.

What will be really funny is if you stay with this site and learn, learn, learn, come back to this post in 6 months to a year from now and you will laugh your ass off.

What will be really funny is if you stay with this site and learn, learn, learn, come back to this post in 6 months to a year from now and you will laugh your ass off.

thats what i'm hoping for hahaha, i'm kinda laughing at it now haha

oldmacman, your edit makes me want to burry my camera and never take a picture again, it looks really good now haha, what photo editing software did you use?

Clone tool and healing brush in Photoshop (CS3 version). Forget about burying the camera and go take some pictures. :)

Most reactions

Back