First shots from virginia. Thoughts?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple of my first shots from Virginia. I am visiting my grandparents, and have had very little opportunity to take photos. However, I think I did OK considering. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

ducks.jpg

watershootingup-1.jpg

longexposureouside1-1.jpg

fastfood.jpg

A funny story behind the previous photo. I was eating at a local burger joint, and I look down at my food and I'm like "wait a minute, this would make an awesome photo!". So I pulled out my camera and took a shot. I got grease all over my lens and grip, but at least the burgers were good!

cozycouchnew.jpg

Which is your favorite?

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Sure, here goes:

1. Always try and capture animals from the front rather than the rear. The composition is good apart from that, and the exposure not bad, although a little contrasty. The images appears quite soft on my monitor however.

2. A well exposed night scene, however it really doesn't have much to hold the eye. There's no discernable main subject. Try and avoid cropping things like the tops of the flag poles.

3. Nice scene, however it appears to lean slightly left. I think this might have been better as a vertical composition focusing on one or two streams, and perhaps using a slow shutter-speed to 'soften' the water. Note again you've cut the tips of the water off.

4. I'm afraid I don't see in this one what you did. Perhaps a greater DoF might have helped?

5. Slightly under-exposed in the shadows, but nice symetric composition, albeing without a really attention-grabbing main subject.

Some good work here; I think your main focus needs to be on selecting key elements for your images.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

I already don't find fast food appetizing - even more so if it's half eaten.

My intention wasn't to make it appetizing.

Mostly there are quite soft. Watch your focus so that your images are sharp.
The compositional part of the photographs is a little good i guess. :)

Well, looks like these photos weren't my greatest. Oh well, I'm going on a little nature walk today. Hopefully I'll have some better photos up later today or tomorrow.

What part of virginia are you visiting? I live in VA and know there are alot of great places to take photos. Just got back from the James River. The D40 is a great DLSR! Read your manual and know every setting on it, and what exposure, aperture, ISO, and white balance is then try shooting in all manual mode.

What part of virginia are you visiting? I live in VA and know there are alot of great places to take photos. Just got back from the James River. The D40 is a great DLSR! Read your manual and know every setting on it, and what exposure, aperture, ISO, and white balance is then try shooting in all manual mode.

Yea, I know and I wish I could visit all those places, however photography is not my sole purpose for being here. I am here to visit my ailing grandparents, and I don't have much chance to get out because they live in an old folks home.

I did get a chance to go into DC yesterday, and I went to the Air and Space Museum. I'm also leaving tomorrow, but by leaving I'm not going home. My family and I are driving to Buffalo, NY, and then to Batavia, NY to visit my 1st cousin once removed's farm. Its very rural out there, and thats where I'm hoping to get most of my good shots.

Most reactions

Back