First Shots With a DSLR

omega1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I got my first DSLR today, a Canon EOS Rebel T3 and I love it so far. I would appreciate some feedback, but please don't be too harsh :lol:, I'm just getting into photography. Some of my first attempts:

$IMG_0008.jpg$IMG_0030.jpg$IMG_0046.jpg

I think you have some studying to do. Why is your DOF so shallow in each? Also, personally, I think your subject matter is meh. Those are also very very small files.

Do you have any exposure (no pun intended) to the basics? If not, is there a junior college with some entry level classes near you?

I think you have some studying to do. Why is your DOF so shallow in each? Also, personally, I think your subject matter is meh. Those are also very very small files.

Same mistake as i made and im sure many more people who first time used DSLR. Take your time to read and understand what means what and how things affect to each other, shutter, aperture, lightning, focus, zoom... and eventually you will learn.

I will not comment on the pictures because I am too much of a novice to do that but I will comment on the watch.
I see you got an Omega Planet Ocean, nice watch!!!
Is that the 42mm or 46mm model ?

I will not comment on the pictures because I am too much of a novice to do that but I will comment on the watch.
I see you got an Omega Planet Ocean, nice watch!!!
Is that the 42mm or 46mm model ?
Thanks! Its actually the 37.5mm, I have small wrists. I love the ceramic bezel and movement. Its always great to find another watch enthusiast. Sorry for getting off topic.

Do you have any exposure (no pun intended) to the basics? If not, is there a junior college with some entry level classes near you?
I am spending A LOT of time reading on line and watching videos.

That's good. It's the core principles, the basics you need to get a good understanding of first, otherwise bunches of stuff won't make sense...

Enjoy the new camera and the journey!

It takes time and tons of practice. You really can't practice too much.

Are you wanting to learn how to shoot fully manual or are you using auto features? Most schools these days teach on a 35mm first, but I think there are some real advantages to learning manual on a DSLR. You cannot see what you just did on a 35mm, but the DSLR makes this very easy, which can speed up the learning curve if you pay attention to what kinds of shots you get from different settings.

Have fun!

Hope that helps.

the DSLR makes this very easy, which can speed up the learning curve if you pay attention to what kinds of shots you get from different settings.
Which is part of the reason I think school is a good thing. On your own you might notice different things but have no idea how you got there. The structure and support of school helps immeasurably.

I tried again today. Any better?

$IMG_0153.jpg$IMG_0152.jpg$IMG_0165.jpg$IMG_0167.jpg$IMG_0180.jpg$IMG_0181.jpg

#4 has some really interesting lines (minus the perpendicular line to the curves. The picture "ends" at that line versus going off to infinity. For what my advise might be worth, crop it out or recompose.
#2 is not bad. Composition is nice, but the focus seems off...if you we're intending on focusing on the bud. Are you using area focus? Try shooting in single spot focus mode and reshoot it and see how crisp you can get it. If you were in spot mode, it is probably camera shake. Use a tripod or bump up the ISO. Using a Tripod; however, is my preferred method for macro shots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back