First shots with my new (to me) d7000

JB92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my job is a family photographer on the beach. My boss provides us all with Nikon D3100's and they work well for what we do. My customers call me a professional and I always want to tell them I'm not because all my shots are auto focused and on programmed auto, I just do some good family poses and make sure their kids are smiling. This is my second year doing this job and in the beginning of this year I've become extremely interested on getting the quality of my shots to look "professional" so I bought a 35mm 1.8g and that definitely gave my photos a nice touch. Now I'm very interested in photography and wanted to start learning everything I could about it so I went ahead and bought a used D7000. This camera is a whole different world to me but I love it. There's so much to learn but I want to learn everything I can. I got to break it in by helping brother shooting a wedding yesterday. It was at 2pm yesterday and it was extremely hot, bright, and humid here in Panama City Beach, FL. Here's two good ones from right after the wedding. No setting adjusted since I didn't have time to mess with anything and I really have no idea what settings to adjust but all these were shot on programmed auto with my 35mm lens. I did throw them into Photoshop CC just to apply the clarity and vibrance filters to help bring more colors and details out.

dsc_4120 by Joshua Binder, on Flickr

DSC_4101 by Joshua Binder, on Flickr

Here's two random shots I took on the boat where the reception was. It was one of those old school river boats so it was cool.

DSC_4366 by Joshua Binder, on Flickr

DSC_4361 by Joshua Binder, on Flickr

Please critique them and help me learn. I would appreciate it. Sorry for that long paragraph by the way.

I showed one of my buddies who I think is an awesome photographer he said I upped the blue way to much of the dresses and the brides dress which I payed no attention to that as I was doing it. I'm a noob.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

The group shots are well taken, but the sun is very harsh, but a big diffuser for such a large group is probably hard to come by.

I really like the propellor shot.

Tip-
not many will click on there links. You host them on flickr so to show them click on the share button on the bottom of photo and copy the "BBC code" size 1024 pixels, pste that into your post and the photo will show up here when others look at your post.

Enjoy

Nice,
The only suggestions I would make is you look at how the folks are posing and direct them a bit. Perhaps ask them to take their hands out of their pockets and move in a little closer so you can move closer with the camera.

Welcome to the forum.

The group shots are well taken, but the sun is very harsh, but a big diffuser for such a large group is probably hard to come by.

Tip-
not many will click on there links. You host them on flickr so to show them click on the share button on the bottom of photo and copy the "BBC code" size 1024 pixels, pste that into your post and the photo will show up here when others look at your post.

Enjoy

Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it. And yes I fixed it. Now we're cookin'!

Nice,
The only suggestions I would make is you look at how the folks are posing and direct them a bit. Perhaps ask them to take their hands out of their pockets and move in a little closer so you can move closer with the camera.

Yeah I know. I always realize things like that as I'm viewing their pictures. Thank you though.

....welcome,and enjoy your 7000.I bought mine,when they were first released (some 70-80,000 actuations, if I had to guess,haven't checked odometer in a while),and I never treated it less than a tool.It's tough.It's also the body I've learned so much from,and continue to learn.

I think I'm seeing some blue and purple in the white dress and suit.
Do you think the easiest/best way to fix that would be just to adjust the WB? Or how would you do it?

Yes. Sometimes it's a color cast and that can be a little tricky to fix. I'm wondering now. The white flowers look perfect to me.

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy
I agree on the propeller shot. Very nice!

Most reactions

Back