Not to start an arguement here. but could you (bigt) possibly show some examples of what you mean with the angles.
and i did say rarely. out of all your pictures how many are angled?
im a beginner myself so excuse my lack of knowledge lol.
thank you
The point of this forum is to discuss things, and while discussing artistic things, it can often be more subjective, its all open for discussion in my book.
Keep in mind though that my comment was about shots rarely working with angles... ie - camera tilt.
I dont want to hijack the OPs thread, but for the purpose of angle discussion, I feel that tilting the camera to show a bigger sense of movement and action usually works, again, photo depending. The amount of camera tilt can vary, but as I said in my earlier post, I would think that 20% of my images have some camera tilt in it.
I had taken some of this scene with no tilt, but the tilted version has a much greater effect
Camera was also slightly tilted here, again because a straight on 90 degree shot would not of given the branch and leaves a nice diagonal
Not an amazing photo, but again, some slight camera tilt helps lead the eye (all in my opinion)
These bikes on a stand are straight, but a tilt worked better for this shot
However, here is the same bike stand where a tilt did not work
I hope this helps clear up my point how camera tilt is not "rarely" used, but more a tool to be used when most effective, which in my case is 20% of my images, and will probably be more than that as I'm just getting used to proper tilt.
And this is just urban / cityscape. Camera tilting to get required angles is used in portraits as well.
The way I see it and have been told is that diagonal lines are very important in photography and are visually more appealing than straight lines (in most cases). As its not always possible to physically turn a road, a branch or a bike stand to a diagonal line, this is often achieved by the photographer changing and shifting positions, which may or may not include tilting the camera.
I hope this helps and adds to the discussion. Sorry again to the OP for a thread hijack, but I felt that it would be better to answer the question directly in the thread instead of a PM, as others may have had the same thinking.